Are power banks safe to charge a Nexus 5?

chaingangritesh

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Are power banks safe to use for charging purpose??? Do we need to consider any particular charger with specific power output? Any specific brand to consider?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that devices will draw the current that they need, so if the charger provides higher current, it won't overcharge or damage the device. If the charger provides a maximum current that is lower than what the device needs, then it may charge very slowly or not at all.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
High amp chargers won't damage the phone but they won't all charge fast. If the phone battery stats page says charging AC that's the fastest it gets. But if it says USB than the charger isn't really compatible and it won't charge at the quickest rate it could.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Are power banks safe to use for charging purpose??? Do we need to consider any particular charger with specific power output? Any specific brand to consider?
The phone determines how fast it takes a charge. I have used many tablet and phone chargers interchangeably, and have never seen any damage.

A high capacity charger will not necessarily charge your device faster. The phone/tablet is what determines how fast it charges. Using a high capacity charger does not mean your device will charge faster.

Anything that is micro-USB should be safe, no matter what the capacity or source.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I have serveral powerbanks to charge my N5. My LuguLake 6000mAh powerbank with wireless Qi charges as fast as plugging it into the wall with the original charger. I have got about 10 powerbanks 12000mAh from Ebay for about $16 and been gifting them to friends and bar tenders. Also, I have three extra in my Hurricane supplies since I have lost power for up to a week in the past.

I have tired two different powerbanks and they all work. The only issue I have had with the cheaper one is after it charge got below 50% ( 12000mAh) one sucked the juice out of my Nexus 5 to charge the powerbank and left my N5 with nothing. I gave that powerbank to a friend that said it works great for her iPhone. I switched powerbanks brands after that but haven't tired that test again yet to see if a weak powerbank will pull power from my N5. No one has had any issues and they all love them. My opinion is powerbanks are just a big battery but you should get a big mAh powerbank so that your phone doesn't end up charging the powerbank. I like my LuguLake powerbank the best with Qi charging but it cost about $65 so it should be better than the $16 devices I get from China via Ebay.

I always warn the 10 friends I gave the powerbanks to not to leave them in their hot cars since we live in Florida. Still they leave them in their cars and I worry that some could catch fire if left in high temps.

Dragoiopinion

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I must say that High amp chargers for sure will kill you device battery like using a charger for ipod for charging you iphone.Trust me I had to change the battery and after the phone broked because of the high amp charging about a year.Use Original Chargers only and when using a power bank make sure it is compatible with your device

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I must say that High amp chargers for sure will kill you device battery like using a charger for ipod for charging you iphone.Trust me I had to change the battery and after the phone broked because of the high amp charging about a year.Use Original Chargers only and when using a power bank make sure it is compatible with your device

Everything you've said is absolutely wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

As Jeff said "The phone determines how fast it takes a charge" since the phone's circuits regulates temperature of the batteries being charged it will disconnect charging if the batteries get too hot. . The higher the amperage of the charger, the shorter the charge time will be. There are limitations as to how fast a battery can be charged but the phone will regulate that.

Really there isn't a issue using a 1.0Amp or 2.1Amp charging port with your Nexus 5 especially since we are talking about Power Banks to charge the phone.

Last edited:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Please don't trust Dragoiopinion's post... this is inaccurate

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
High amp chargers won't damage the phone but they won't all charge fast. If the phone battery stats page says charging AC that's the fastest it gets. But if it says USB than the charger isn't really compatible and it won't charge at the quickest rate it could.

To clarify this, if it says USB then the charger and/or the micro-USB cable connecting your phone to it aren't really compatible. Not all Micro-USB cables are the same in the way they're configured.

My LuguLake 6000mAh powerbank with wireless Qi charges as fast as plugging it into the wall with the original charger.

<3 my LuguLake Qi charger, and agree 100%.

flipped4dinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
To clarify this, if it says USB then the charger and/or the micro-USB cable connecting your phone to it aren't really compatible. Not all Micro-USB cables are the same in the way they're configured.

+1 on this. You not only need a quality charger or power bank, but a quality cable too.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

<3 my LuguLake Qi charger, and agree 100%.

True enough, I have also noticed that cheap USB extension cables can kill the charge rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463