Do You Use a Case on Your Nexus 5?

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
A few days after purchasing my Nexus 5 I also got a rubber case for it.

Since the time I got the rubber case, my phone has been heating up much more and from what I've heard when the phone gets hot, the CPU is underclocked to avoid the device blowing up. So in turn I started getting worse performance under heavy loads.

Today using my phone, browsing the forums, using Facebook and Twitter the phone got considerably hot and I decided taking the cover of, and guess what? The phone got much cooler and my performance got better, much better (could be placebo).

So I was wondering what kind of case do you guys use? And what kind of case should I get for my device to avoid that much heat.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Used to. But now I stopped because I liked the way the phone felt out of the case. I'm just extra careful nowadays. I used to use the spigen slim armor case and I never really experienced heat issues to much.

Posted via the Android Central App

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a Ballistic SG case in black/white. My phone does seem to get warmer more quickly when I use the case. I sometimes take it off when I'm at home, especially if I'm playing a game or using it for a long period of time. I might switch to a flip case soon, because this one attracts lint and dust.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I have had my N5 in a Caseology case since day one. Don't worry about the heat all cell phones get hot when you are using them and even more in a case. It isn't a problem for 99.999% of the smart phone users. Also, I have a Screen Protector Nillkin Anti-Explosion Tempered Glass 9H+ for the Nexus 9 that will protect in case it gets dropped on the screen. Tempered Glass with a 9H hardness will protect your screen even if you don't have a case.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I use the official lg snap case. It provides some protection and its thin enough where it doesn't really feel like there is a case on the phone. Also the case has a very similar feel as the material of the nexus 5 back.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple of Caseology TPU cases with faux leather or carbon fiber backs. I never notice any overheating.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple of Caseology TPU cases with faux leather or carbon fiber backs. I never notice any overheating.

I can feel it getting hot since I play a game for a hour of screen time while it is charging. All cell phones get hot and most people use a case. I did have a Spigen Slim Armor Case for Nexus 5 before the Caselogic and I could feel the heat more with that case since it had a double case with a silicon rubber glove inside the outer hard shell case.

People here were so worried about Wireless Qi Chargers getting the N5 hot. So I downloaded Cpu Temperature App from the Playstore and they were right it did get hot when charging with a Qi. But after doing more testing I found the N5 gets much hotter when you are using the N5 to play games or surf the internet even without a case than when it is being charged by a Qi charger. It has a thermal kill switch that will protect the phone from overheating. Dropping the phone without a case will do more damage to the Nexus 5 than the heat trapped by a case when you are using it.

Last edited:

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have had my N5 in a Caseology case since day one. Don't worry about the heat all cell phones get hot when you are using them and even more in a case. It isn't a problem for 99.999% of the smart phone users. Also, I have a Screen Protector Nillkin Anti-Explosion Tempered Glass 9H+ for the Nexus 9 that will protect in case it gets dropped on the screen. Tempered Glass with a 9H hardness will protect your screen even if you don't have a case.

I have that case too and love it. I wish they had one for the g3. Anyway never any issues with the case or overheating

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a Ballistic SG case in black/white. My phone does seem to get warmer more quickly when I use the case. I sometimes take it off when I'm at home, especially if I'm playing a game or using it for a long period of time. I might switch to a flip case soon, because this one attracts lint and dust.

I forgot to mention that I also have a tempered glass screen protector on it.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I had mine in the OEM bumper case from new and did not notice it getting hot.

I eventually got tired of the death-grip squeeze needed to turn the device on and off while in that case. It was a matter of either attacking the bumper case on/off switch cover with a Dremel; or, use no case; or change to something quite different. I went with the third option and have the phone in an Akira leather wallet, which I am liking a lot (it smells terrific!), except it prevents the wireless charger from working. I'll put up with that minor inconvenience as I only charge every second day. Phone does not get hot in the Akira case either when using or when charging.

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I use a Spigen Slim Armor, and a Spigen Ultra Hybrid that are thin, and do not bulk up the device. I have not noticed any heating issues. The Hybrid allows me to place any photo on the back behind the clear cover. I change it often.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
A few days after purchasing my Nexus 5 I also got a rubber case for it.

Since the time I got the rubber case, my phone has been heating up much more and from what I've heard when the phone gets hot, the CPU is underclocked to avoid the device blowing up. So in turn I started getting worse performance under heavy loads.

Today using my phone, browsing the forums, using Facebook and Twitter the phone got considerably hot and I decided taking the cover of, and guess what? The phone got much cooler and my performance got better, much better (could be placebo).

So I was wondering what kind of case do you guys use? And what kind of case should I get for my device to avoid that much heat.

Check out the screenshot, this is the one that covers my Nexus 5.
eqa5yran.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I put the Cruzerlite case on it and it looks totally different. I got worried because I had butterfingers for a moment last week and the phone slipped onto the floor. No damage except to my nerves. So I put the case on it. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01