Swipe up from lower edge of phone opens Google Now?

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

When I swipe up from the lower edge of my phone (while on launcher), I get a white half circle with "Google" written on top. Moving my finger to google, I can start google now.
That's nice and reminds me of the same kind of menubar I had on my WebOS devices (a Duarte thing).

Question is: how do I configure this? I mean, Google Now is nice, but I get it swiping to the leftmost screen too, so I don't really need it in the menu. Can I replace it and/or add others apps or widgets?

TIA and sorry if it's a dumb question with an obvious answer...
:confused:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Swipe up from lower edge of phone

No, that's a built-in feature. That's how Google Now was originally designed to be brought up, and is still the way to do it on devices that don't use the Google Now Launcher.

There are probably 3rd party launchers you can install that allow you to customize that gesture, along with other gestures. Try Nova or Apex Launcher.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. I am actually quite happy with the stock launcher. And I don't need any additional gestures or so. It would just be nice to have a possibility to add / configure additional icons in that circle ...

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I installed an app that puts the screen to sleep when I swipe up but I often forget it's there. :)

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I'm sure there are apps that allow you to change what the action brings up. I'm using "App Swap- the Smart Drawer". It opens a floating window with all of my apps. It's quite useful, since I don't use Google Now.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Oh there's another one called Gravity (something) that both turns the screen on and off using the proximity sensor. There's several new ones since last winter/spring.

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

Hi guys

When I swipe up from the lower edge of my phone (while on launcher), I get a white half circle with "Google" written on top. Moving my finger to google, I can start google now.
That's nice and reminds me of the same kind of menubar I had on my WebOS devices (a Duarte thing).

Question is: how do I configure this? I mean, Google Now is nice, but I get it swiping to the leftmost screen too, so I don't really need it in the menu. Can I replace it and/or add others apps or widgets?

TIA and sorry if it's a dumb question with an obvious answer...
:confused:

If you're rooted, get xposed framework and the gravity box module.

It let's you configure the quick launch circle (or disable it) on stock ROMs.

Posted via Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 (2013)

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

If you're rooted, get xposed framework and the gravity box module.

It let's you configure the quick launch circle (or disable it) on stock ROMs.

Posted via Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 (2013)

Absolutely, not to mention the other million things you can change if you so desire. Haven't found a reason to flash a custom rom on my N5 (flash lots of other stuff...just because I like to). Flashed hundreds since the NS. This is from my old GNEX or N4 that I have handy on my PC. It's from a custom rom but looks and functions the same with Stock+Xposed+GB. 7 shortcuts on lockscreen, 5 I can do from any screen. Screenshot_2013-05-31-16-40-43 (2).pngScreenshot_2013-05-31-16-40-23.png

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

^^^That's clever stuff!

Posted via Android Central App

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

@ConTejas: Thanks for the screenshots! Yes, that's what I thought of ... naaaissss ... ;)
I really wanted to refrain from rooting once ... Ever since my Treo times I leaned to the geek side of smartphone-ism ... I Jailbreaked my iPhonies .. I had the Dev Mode activated on my WebOS devices ... and now it looks like I have to root my trusty friend, the Nexus ...

All right ... :D ... got me.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692