T-Mobile data overrides wifi; T-Mo auth request to blame?

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Need help with Nexus 5 data settings. After 9 mos of less than 3GB/mo, I've used 2.8GB in the first 3 days of this mo, because pre-authorized wifi no longer overrides mobile data.

Just hung up with a level 2 T-Mo rep who said I should be changing my Settings/More/Mobile Networks/Data Enabled EVERY TIME I want to switch between wifi & data! I told her I had received a pop-up notice a few days ago asking for authorization to track my location, data, etc. use, which I declined. The rep didn't know anything about it, & said (unconvincingly) she'll call me if she finds out anything about it.

This sound familiar to anyone? Or have I inadvertantly changed something in my settings? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's weird. WiFi should override mobile and I don't think there's a setting to easily change that. Could be an app that you downloaded or something hidden in your carrier settings.
Check in mobile usage where all that data has been spent. Maybe it's a background process doing funny things (sync, upload?).

Until you find out you could try Power Toggles to switch mobile off with just one tap. It can be done from the notifications or with a widget on your homescreen.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
akuki

What is your phone service provider? First thing I would do is start deleting Apps that were not important. First App I would look at most people have is Facebook and their new FB Messenger that is now trying to track people so they can make money off where you go. You can always reach FB over the internet via a Browsers on your phone where you don't give FB the power to use your GPS and cell data plan.

Not saying it is Facebook but I would be looking at any App that has updated or been installed since your data uses increased. Just for giggles maybe you should down load a free Anti-Virus App from the Playstore.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I called back and requested a support ticket after noticing data recorded by the device was 643 MB.

Thanks for confirming that the wifi should override. And, that toggle app sounds like a good idea.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Shilohcane. No FB & use an anti-virus app. The app data usage shows nothing our of the ordinary.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
OK, found an error in my data read: Phone really says 1.5 GB in 7 days, vs. T-Mobile's 2.8 GB. (I neglected to update the coverage dates in settings!)

That's still a 1.3 GB discrepancy over a 7-day period. How much would be acceptable? Doesn't sound good to me, so if the numbers don't adjust closer together, will wait on the support findings.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Have a look in the data usage to a couple of apps, the hungrier the better :)

Is it foreground or background? Check the app settings from that screen.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Have a look in the data usage to a couple of apps, the hungrier the better :)

Is it foreground or background? Check the app settings from that screen.

The hungry one is Play Music with 96 MB (13% of the pie chart) "Background". Next on the list is TWIT Pro with only 455 KB (8%) as "Background".

Do you see something?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The hungry one is Play Music with 96 MB (13% of the pie chart) "Background". Next on the list is TWIT Pro with only 455 KB (8%) as "Background".

Do you see something?

Yep. That you take good care with the background processes not eating data 😀😀

Good luck

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
One other suggestion - if you have an app like tasker, you can set it up to disable mobile data when you are connected to WiFi.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I just read something that could help you. Someone was having the same problem and discovered that the culprit was an app called Battery Defender. Do you have it installed?

Just in case check any battery saver if you have any. Another reason to avoid that sort of apps. :)

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I just read something that could help you. Someone was having the same problem and discovered that the culprit was an app called Battery Defender. Do you have it installed?

Just in case check any battery saver if you have any. Another reason to avoid that sort of apps. :)

No, nothing like that.

Still wondering, what do you all consider an acceptable discrepancy between carrier's data read & the Nexus 5's data usage read?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
No, nothing like that.

Still wondering, what do you all consider an acceptable discrepancy between carrier's data read & the Nexus 5's data usage read?

I would consider 10% acceptable and more than 20% unacceptable.

Posted via Android Central App

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I would consider 10% acceptable and more than 20% unacceptable.

This is very strange...

I turned off cellular data 1 & 1/2 days ago, but the phone added almost another GB used! During that time I used the GPS navigation for less than 2 hours, which doesn't need data.

So yesterday, 15 days into my plan, T-Mobile said 3.2 GB used, phone showed 1.7 GB. And today the phone reads 2.6 GB while data has been shut off!

Doesn't the phone register readings in almost real time? I think a call to LG Monday is in order.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
This is very strange...

I turned off cellular data 1 & 1/2 days ago, but the phone added almost another GB used! During that time I used the GPS navigation for less than 2 hours, which doesn't need data.

So yesterday, 15 days into my plan, T-Mobile said 3.2 GB used, phone showed 1.7 GB. And today the phone reads 2.6 GB while data has been shut off!

Doesn't the phone register readings in almost real time? I think a call to LG Monday is in order.

This is not good. I thought GPS maps needed data to render the maps? But if cellular data was off, it should not have been able to use it anyway.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
This is not good. I thought GPS maps needed data to render the maps? But if cellular data was off, it should not have been able to use it anyway.

Will check-in with T-Mobile again Monday, since they haven't called back.

I shouldn't say "navigation" since it's only the map showing your location as you move across it.

It's great to use when you need to save on data. My first smartphone didn't have a data plan (unheard of today), so I depended on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam