G Play All Access Exorbitant background data usage

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
So I got an alert this morning that I am nearing my data usage limit. My cycle reset on the 10th, so I was really surprised to see this, especially since I haven't done any heavy streaming in the last week. So I checked to see which apps had the highest data usage and Google Play Music was at the top of the list with about 1.2 GB of data used. That was really surprising as I don't think I've streamed any music through my phone since the 10th, so I dug a little deeper and looked to see details on that. Sure enough, when I looked at the data for Play Music All Access, almost all of it has been background data.14%u00252B-%u00252B1.png

Has anybody else seen this? What has it been doing? I don't understand how it could be using background data - there's nothing to do unless you're streaming and downloading music from the app. I checked the box to turn off background data for that app, so I'm hoping that will solve the problem, but I don't understand what caused the problem in the first place. Any ideas?

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Any chance that you updated a playlist on another device or web that is set on your phone to auto download music for offline use? If so make sure under "Google Music" settings that there is a check next to "Download vi Wi-Fi only".

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Not really sure where its coming from. I've used Google Music, and not run into that. I did just check my data usage, and it seems all of my music streaming have done something in the back ground, but nothing like you experienced. I would think like previously mentioned, that you changed a setting, playlist, uploaded songs, something somewhere, and your phone updated to it.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Any chance that you updated a playlist on another device or web that is set on your phone to auto download music for offline use? If so make sure under "Google Music" settings that there is a check next to "Download vi Wi-Fi only".

That's an interesting point. I have 4 devices connected to the account, including my wife's phone. I know she's a lot more active creating playlists and such on her phone. I had the box checked to only download when connected to a WiFi network.