So I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment, and I realized the other day, while taking measurements of the space, that my phone gets NO bars while inside. Step out the door and they come back, but when I'm inside my apartment, my tmobile reception goes to absolute zero.

This is a little concerning considering I'm going to live here for the next year, but I immediately thought, oh boy, tmobile just announced the cell spot for this exact reason! I'm saved!

But....am I saved? The cell-spot says it provides "full bars" of tmobile, but handles such calls and texting over wifi. Does this mean that it only works if your phone is capable of tmobile wifi calling anyway (which would work with any wifi network, so I'm wondering why you'd need the cellspot specifically for that?), or does it actually make your phone think that it's receiving a cellular signal and thus any phone would benefit from it?

The nexus 5 as far as I know does not work with T-mobile wifi calling, so I want to know if this is something that would actually benefit me or not. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    09-17-2014 12:20 PM
    The Cellspot is for phones that can use wi-fi calling, so it won't be helpful for you. What you need to request is a Cel-Fi, which is also free (but you have to return it when you're done) from T-Mobile, if you have the Simple Choice plan. Cel-Fi does boost cell signal--but only 3G/HSPA+, not LTE. I have one, and it works very well.
    The Cellspot is for phones that can use wi-fi calling, so it won't be helpful for you. What you need to request is a Cel-Fi, which is also free (but you have to return it when you're done) from T-Mobile, if you have the Simple Choice plan. Cel-Fi does boost cell signal--but only 3G/HSPA+, not LTE. I have one, and it works very well.
    09-17-2014 12:23 PM
    Oh man, well a Cel-Fi sounds great, but I have a sinking feeling that I'm not going to qualify for the free one since I'm on the $30 prepaid plan....and from the looks of it, they cost $575 online to buy one outright. Ouch I'll have to go to a store and ask them though. Thanks!
    09-17-2014 12:32 PM
    Just call them up--no need to schlep to the store. At the store, they'd probably tell you to call anyway.
    09-17-2014 12:54 PM
    WiFi Calling is only for T-Mobile branded phones, which are purchased from T-Mobile stores/site.
    09-24-2014 01:52 PM