I'll make this short..purchased my nexus from best buy last year.. headphone jack is defective so I called LG for a warranty replacement, but they wanted me to send it in for repair, I told them this was my only phone and I could not wait for the repair, they suggested calling Google. Called Google and they said I had to go through LG. Anyone have experience or advice on how to get a replacement for a Nexus that wasnt purchased through Google Play?
    09-21-2014 01:38 PM
    Bump. Has anyone had issues with their phone that didn't purchase through the play store? Any advice?
    10-06-2014 04:28 PM
    No way to do it without sending it in. LG told me the same thing with my G3.
    10-07-2014 08:44 PM
    Did you ask Best Buy? Do you have their insurance?
    10-08-2014 08:04 AM
    I'll make this short..purchased my nexus from best buy last year.. headphone jack is defective so I called LG for a warranty replacement, but they wanted me to send it in for repair, I told them this was my only phone and I could not wait for the repair, they suggested calling Google. Called Google and they said I had to go through LG. Anyone have experience or advice on how to get a replacement for a Nexus that wasnt purchased through Google Play?
    What do you expect them to do??

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-08-2014 11:11 AM
    Did you ask Best Buy? Do you have their insurance?
    No insurance and I haven't tried BB yet. They will probably tell me to go through LG, but I'll give it a try. I was hoping someone may have had luck getting Google to replace it.

What do you expect them to do??

IDK.. provide service for their flagship device. Understand LG manufactures it, but Google markets it as their own. Thanks for your question/comment.
    10-08-2014 11:24 AM
    No insurance and I haven't tried BB yet. They will probably tell me to go through LG, but I'll give it a try. I was hoping someone may have had luck getting Google to replace it.

IDK.. provide service for their flagship device. Understand LG manufactures it, but Google markets it as their own. Thanks for your question/comment.
    I would try Best Buy. They sold it to you and it should be under warranty. As for Google, they will only honor warranty on the ones that they sell.
    10-08-2014 11:32 AM
    You're presuming that Google directly has the capability of servicing and repairing the devices... Hardware is not their forte, which is why they partnered with LG to have them engineer and manufacture the device to Google's tune. It's LG that is ultimately responsible for any service; that Google is often willing to replace devices directly for those customers suffer themselves to purchase directly from the Play store rather than enjoying the thrill of overpaying at from other retailers is actually a testament to their excellent customer service -- I doubt Best Buy will simply replace a device purchased from their stores (unless you paid an additional premium in the form of an insurance or purchased a 'replacement' warranty) after it's exceeded the initial return period policy, and expect they will simply refer you to LG.

Also, you mention it's their 'flagship' device, but neglect to mention it's also their entry level phone as well ;-)
    10-08-2014 02:19 PM
    You're presuming that Google directly has the capability of servicing and repairing the devices... Hardware is not their forte, which is why they partnered with LG to have them engineer and manufacture the device to Google's tune. It's LG that is ultimately responsible for any service; that Google is often willing to replace devices directly for those customers suffer themselves to purchase directly from the Play store rather than enjoying the thrill of overpaying at from other retailers is actually a testament to their excellent customer service -- I doubt Best Buy will simply replace a device purchased from their stores (unless you paid an additional premium in the form of an insurance or purchased a 'replacement' warranty) after it's exceeded the initial return period policy, and expect they will simply refer you to LG.
    You have some good points and it makes sense...I guess i'm a little ticked about LG's warranty process + the fact that GP started offering this service around the time my device breaks.. I would have purchased through GP if I would have known about the difference in customer service for the warranties.. I got the device from best buy because they price matched google play and I didn't want to wait.. I guess I learned from the mistake :P

Also, you mention it's their 'flagship' device, but neglect to mention it's also their entry level phone as well ;-)
    Touche.. could android one devices count? Android One
    10-08-2014 04:03 PM
    They are providing service by offering to fix it.

10-09-2014 05:35 AM
    Touche.. could android one devices count? Android One
    Those aren't designed by Google - it's just a group of phones that, from what infer from the site, are running stock, or close to stock Android and manufactured by a few different companies to the spec guidelines set forth by the company under the branding "Android One." If they're keeping stock android then it'd be a pretty simple matter for them to assure fast OTA updates. Nice if one is looking for a simple, bare-bones device running stock android OS, and these include micro-SD and start from only about $100 USD, but they don't enjoy the full perks of the Nexus line (updated (generally) first, and updates issued by and for a period of time guaranteed by Google).
    10-09-2014 09:01 AM