Vote: 8000mah Nexus 5 extended Battery. Will you buy?

xingtek

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I love travel, especially remote area. I want a great phone with long lasting battery. Nexus 5 is a great phone, but battery only last less one day under moderate use.

So I made a extended battery, the capacity is about 8000mah, 3.6 times of the stock battery:

P92100992.jpg

I am waiting for the 3D printed back cover to finish this project. According to my test, under normal use, this phone can last 3-5 days with one full charge. The charge time is about 5-6 hours. My wife love it too, I am making another one for her. She asked me why don't mass produce it and sell?

The only thing about this extended battery is the complexity. Like other recent cell phones, Neuxs 5 put NFC, wireless charging coil, antennas and vibrator on the back cover. So to make this extended battery work on Nexus 5, beside the 8000mah battery. I also designed NFC Coil, Wireless Charging Coil, WiFi Antenna, GPS Antenna, and a vibrator. All these components adds up the cost. The retail price may reach $70-80.

I started this battery as a hobby. Is here anybody like my design, and think I should mass produce it? Will you upgrade your Nexus5's battery to 3.6 times for $70-80?

Attachments

• P9210099.jpg
    P9210099.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Cool idea and props for being innovative with the design process, but for the added bulk and complexity, wouldn't a simple Anker charger be sufficient enough? For $70 and increased thickness, I would say there are other $30 options like below:

Amazon.com: Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh External Battery Portable Dual USB Charger Power Bank. PowerIQ™ Broad Compatibility, Fast Charging, High Capacity, Ultra Compact. For iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 3 4,

However, good luck if you do choose to sell.

UN4GTBL

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That's a great idea.

Cool idea and props for being innovative with the design process, but for the added bulk and complexity, wouldn't a simple Anker charger be sufficient enough? For $70 and increased thickness, I would say there are other $30 options like below:

Amazon.com: Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh External Battery Portable Dual USB Charger Power Bank. PowerIQ™ Broad Compatibility, Fast Charging, High Capacity, Ultra Compact. For iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 3 4,

However, good luck if you do choose to sell.

Those are ok, but a bigger battery is the better solution.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
That's an obsolete solution to the battery problem, it was fine for the Galaxy Nexus which didn't have Qi but it's unnecessary for the N5 which does. There are lots of Qi charging bricks, I have a couple of 4000ma Qi bricks, and there are Qi car mounts, I have one of those also. The Qi bricks can be placed in your shirt pocket along with the phone and it will charge the phone. I have my car mount on the air conditioner vent so I can just pop the phone in and out. The Qi charging works well enough that I can use the phone for navigation and still arrive with a full battery. If you are going off into the woods for a couple of weeks there are giant external batteries available, 12000ma/hours is the biggest that I've seen but there might be bigger ones. If you are moving to a desert island there are also USB solar arrays available which you could use to charge your batteries, admittedly this last option is silly, it's very unlikely that a desert island would have either LTE or WiFI but no electricity.

xingtek

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
That's a great idea.

Those are ok, but a bigger battery is the better solution.

Thank you for the support.

I use usb battery bank too. I have a slim one 5000mah and a 12000mah with high power flashlight.
P9220109.JPG

But with the wire battery bank is not convenient for daytime, and sometime I don't have a chance to charge my phone during the night time.

So, Yes, a bigger internal battery is better.

Aaron Mance

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I currently have a Nexus 5 right now as well.
I would more than happily send you $100 to cover production, shipping, and handling.

I would love to have one.

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I would say if you don't have time to be off your phone and charge it for a bit you need to look out the window once and a while.
The stock battery is enough for the day and charge it overnight

Posted via Android Central App

xingtek

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I currently have a Nexus 5 right now as well.
I would more than happily send you $100 to cover production, shipping, and handling.

I would love to have one.

Thank you for your support. I will post more photos once I receive the cover. I hope we can have enough users to move to mass production.

Why not just get a ZeroLemon LG Google Nexus 5 3500mah Extended Battery Case?

Anybody has this battery case. Can it charge the battery to full from empty? According to its 3D photo, that base will be much much thicker than my solution.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I like what you've done and I'd love to pictures of what it looks like when finished with your custom back in place. Also how thick and heavy is it with this custom battery?

I can't see a lot of people being willing to do this to their phones though (me included, an external pack is sufficient for me), but perhaps creating a Kickstarter project for this, or something similar, would be worthwhile to get a gauge of if there is enough interest to mass produce this.

Posted via Android Central App

digink

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
If you plan to sell this, I will definitely want it. Previously I was going to jump to whatever was replacing the N5, but I really don't care for the N6 so I rather stick with my N5 my only gripe being battery life.

garfin

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey, if you get production off the ground on these, and you can ship internationally.. i'll be all over one , like a fat kid on a smartie...

Xeliaa

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I love travel, especially remote area. I want a great phone with long lasting battery. Nexus 5 is a great phone, but battery only last less one day under moderate use.

So I made a extended battery, the capacity is about 8000mah, 3.6 times of the stock battery:

View attachment 137722

I am waiting for the 3D printed back cover to finish this project. According to my test, under normal use, this phone can last 3-5 days with one full charge. The charge time is about 5-6 hours. My wife love it too, I am making another one for her. She asked me why don't mass produce it and sell?

The only thing about this extended battery is the complexity. Like other recent cell phones, Neuxs 5 put NFC, wireless charging coil, antennas and vibrator on the back cover. So to make this extended battery work on Nexus 5, beside the 8000mah battery. I also designed NFC Coil, Wireless Charging Coil, WiFi Antenna, GPS Antenna, and a vibrator. All these components adds up the cost. The retail price may reach $70-80.

I started this battery as a hobby. Is here anybody like my design, and think I should mass produce it? Will you upgrade your Nexus5's battery to 3.6 times for $70-80?

I'm interested in one of these. As a user above said, you can do away with the NFC and Wireless Charging capabilities I don't use them anyway. But, I'd definitely buy this battery!

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
@xingtek -- I admire your ingenuity and hard work but I think you may be a little late to the game to make this a viable business proposition. The Nexus 5 is now over a year old. Another problem: this has limited appeal (particularly since it appears to be specific to the N5) -- as this thread demonstrates.

I like my N5 but I do fine with just a generic external battery pack that I take along when I anticipate heavy use and no available charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech