What phone(s) would you choose over your Nexus 5?

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Feeling any regrets of not holding out for 2014 flagships? I sort am.

1. Moto X 2014
  2. Nexus 6

Last edited:

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
None @the moment. I am happy with my Nexus 5. It does all I want and need, so why would I spend money for something I already have?

480grl

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
None for me. I have the LG G3 i love it but im having issues with it espesecially my keyboard and for some reason it restarts itself?? Im puzzled. I got it when it first came out and now im thinking of rooting?? Any suggestions?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

It's easy to look at the 'latest and greatest' and wish one had held off, but that's a never-ending cycle. So long as I make the right decision for what I'm seeking from a pool of contemporary devices (not considering devices whose release/specs are not 100% confirmed), I don't ever have any regrets when newer models come out. Envy or an itchy wallet, maybe, but not regret.

As it is now? I love my Nexus 5 - there's no area in which I feel it has any kind of deficiency that keeps me from doing anything I want to do, and to doing it well. There are other phones available now that I do think are better, but still none that are a better value. Heck, I may even resist whatever temptation the Nexus 6 might offer and hold off another year unless it offers some quantum leap over the 5 in functionality...

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I got my wife a resold LG G2 and I'm very tempted to give up my Nexus 5 for it. The battery life compared to the Nexus 5 is just unreal. I'm holding out to see if Sprint supports WiFi calling on the G2 but I'll probably make the jump at that point.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The battery life compared to the Nexus 5 is just unreal. I'm holding out to see if Sprint supports WiFi calling on the G2 but I'll probably make the jump at that point.

It's worth noting that the N5 will see sizable battery life gains once it gets Android L. Even the developer preview was tested as offering 36% greater runtime, and its possible that at release that may gain even more.

Of course, the LG G2 might eventually see L released (or you could always flash a Rom for it at some point), so it would gain benefit too - but the practical question becomes whether any inability for your N5 to withstand a day's usage at its current battery endurance is resolved with the patch.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking with the N5 for another year unless the rumors of a 5.9" NexusX are false. I was hoping for a QHD 5.2" Nexus, basically a Nexus G3, but it looks like it's not going to happen, instead they are going with a rediculous tablet (6" isn't even a phablet).

I've been using Android L on my N5 since the developer release came out and I wouldn't want to go back, and I certainly don't want a skinned version of Android. From a purely objective standpoint there really isn't anything better than an N5 with Android L. I would have bought a QHD 5.2" NexusX just because I like to have the latest an greatest, but the fact of the matter is that with L the N5 is as fast as it needs to be, every thing is very snappy. I've been very happy with the camera, the pictures are sharp and clear. The battery life sucks but that's not really a problem because it has Qi. I have a Qi charging mount in my car so the phone is always charged if I go anywhere, and I have a Qi charging brick that fits into my pocket along with the phone so if I'm out and about for a very long time, which hardly every happens, I can keep the phone charged all day.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
if there was no Nexus phone i would get the Note 4. however i have a Nexus 5 and will be buying a Nexus 6/X on launch day.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
If I really had to, I would get the new moto x. Its pretty much pure android, plus the voice activations and moto assist have intrigued me.. but otherwise I'll just keep rock in my nexus 5..

Posted via Android Central App

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Whatever I bought, I'd probably have some regrets about the next phones that come along. If I worried about that, I'd never buy a phone. I'm quite happy with my Nexus 5. If I hadn't bought it, I'd consider the Moto X, Sony Xperia Z3, or HTC One M8.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

1. Sony Xperia Z3
  2. OnePlus One
  3. HTC One M8 Eye
  4. Moto X 2014
  5. HTC One M8 (GPE)
  6. HTC One M8 (Sense)

Don't know anything about Sony other than they don't sell many phones in the USA. There isn't one other phone on that list that I would trade my used one year old Nexus 5 for even now. The OnePlus One is a joke since it is a ASOP phone not a Android device. Good chance OnePlus One is out of business before they sell 2 million phones in the world. The only thing the HTC has is a boom speaker that I will never need or want on a phone. Until they figure out how to get wireless charging on a metal phone I will never own a metal phone.

Last edited:

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I got my wife a resold LG G2 and I'm very tempted to give up my Nexus 5 for it. The battery life compared to the Nexus 5 is just unreal. I'm holding out to see if Sprint supports WiFi calling on the G2 but I'll probably make the jump at that point.

I got a G2 for my mom and I really like it, despite the skin, but I'm very, very happy with my N5. It's fast and clean and does what I need and want with no fuss.

Posted via my Nexus 5 via the Android Central App

WinterDAWN

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Samsung-Anything: Nope.
OnePlus One: Probably not, I don't like where Cyanogen is headed.
Moto-Anything: Nope.
HTC One M8: I would use it, but it's expensive without a contract and doesn't offer serious advantages (for me) over the Nexus.
iPhone 6+: I would use it, but it's expensive and doesn't appeal to me any more than the Nexus does.
Sony-Anything: Doesn't appeal to me.

The only thing I might eventually regret is not holding out for a Nexus6; although I won't if it's bigger, made by Motorola, or looks like a MotoX.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Samsung-Anything: Nope.
OnePlus One: Probably not, I don't like where Cyanogen is headed.
Moto-Anything: Nope.
HTC One M8: I would use it, but it's expensive without a contract and doesn't offer serious advantages (for me) over the Nexus.
iPhone 6+: I would use it, but it's expensive and doesn't appeal to me any more than the Nexus does.
Sony-Anything: Doesn't appeal to me.

The only thing I might eventually regret is not holding out for a Nexus6; although I won't if it's bigger, made by Motorola, or looks like a MotoX.

Wow so nothing other than nexus? What would you do if they got rid of the program? I prefer nexus (mostly for the price and updates) but I like other stuff too. I've been wondering what I'd do myself if the only nexus 6 is that giant one. That's a no go for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer