Warranty trade

Arca223

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Did anyone already exchanged their nexus 5 for another and how did you do it ?

Here is my issue, I bought the nexus 5 few months after his release, and the first version of the phone had some problems with outside buttons and the speakers (my volume down button sometimes is buggy, and one speaker isn't working)
So since my warranty will expire in a month, I was wondering about making the trade for the corrected release where the hardware bugs are fixed !

And i've been stuck with the fact that, there is no support e-mail, only numbers with charges...

Anyone already tried the exchange and fail ? Any way to contact without making a call ?

Thanks everyone for your help :)

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I contacted them through their Device Support in a chat based format one night. My issue was a cracked screen. I was looking into how much Google would charge to fix the screen because a local shop was $200 and that just wasn't worth it. This was right after I read they would make exceptions for physically damaged phones and replace them.

The chat didn't get me very far but I was given a number to call for additional assistance. I called one morning (7:45 on the East Coast) and within 3 minutes I was told a replacement device would be sent (received it in less than 24 hours) and was emailed a packing slip to send back my old phone. I was able to take a week or so and transfer data to the new device and get it up and running. It was more of a hassle to activate on Sprint (online tool didn't work) than it was to do anything else.

Side note, this is the one area that Android continues to lag wayyyyy behind Apple in the most frustrating way. To "transfer" all my data (I'm not rooted), i had to use several different apps over several different days with very varied levels of success. I used Helium as the non rooted way to backup app data (and APKs if you want) to either device memory or my Google Drive. I tried several different SMS Backup and Restore apps to try to get all my texts over to my new phone. I think the "Backup to Gmail" app worked the best, but in the end it brought over a ton of texts labeled as from 1970 and completely fouled up any group messages. I also used Solid Explorer to WiFi connect my phone to save my downloads and pictures to a home PC.

Sorry for the additional rant, but let me know if you have any other questions on the Google front.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
You didn't really provide any useful information. What country are you in? Where did you buy the phone?

I'm currently working with Google on a replacement due to an issue with my compass being off by about 35-40 degrees, confirmed as a hardware issue. They send you a refurbished unit and you return the other unit after receipt. You can fill out this form here and they will call you, but it is a toll free number in the US anyway:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/contact/c2c_hardware_ordering

You can also use the Chat With Us option to speak with someone online.

Here is my issue, I bought the nexus 5 few months after his release, and the first version of the phone had some problems with outside buttons and the speakers (my volume down button sometimes is buggy, and one speaker isn't working)

One thing to note is that the Nexus 5 only has one speaker. The second speaker grille is just to make it symmetrical but actually houses the microphone.

Arca223

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Oskar

Thanks for the feedback about your exchange ! It surely helps, and also tahnks about the data transfer & apps used, i'll take a look into it to gain time ;)

Raptir

Sorry I didn't expect those information to be useful. I'm from France, and i bought the phone on the playstore, not from a local constructor/operator or any other site. That's why i'm in trouble to contact them because they always redirect me into a number to call (which I'd like to avoid)
I guess I saw that form, the fact that they'd call me sounded weird. I'll try it if it's free then !
Chat with us will redirect me to a number to call I guess
Ooooh so here it explains why only one "speaker" works... thanks ^^ I guess what people are talking about is the low sound given, cause in the new release it seems like they opened a little more the grille.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, I'm glad to hear that they send you the phone and leave you time to transfer data, I really didn't want to be a month without phone !

I'll keep you in touch with the results, thanks !

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The warranty trade was very smooth for me. I dropped my phone on Friday, called google on Saturday and the phone arrived today(Tuesday).

Last edited:

Arca223

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
The unluck is strong in me :

I was on a party yesterday, complete blackout and I saw today that my screen is a little broken on a corner. It's not like i'd cry a river, I assume, but the left part of my screen is now insensitive (don't know how to explain, but I can't use it anymore with fingers etc). So I can't unlock my SIM code, my schema etc :(
What to do ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12