Lollipop android for nexus 5

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
To cope with this wait I have used Nova launcher, Moonshine Icon Pack, and the official wallpapers from Android L to delude myself. After Nov. 3? Nope, I already have it... :(

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought the whole point of a nexus was getting quick updates? Why are we waiting so long?

Nexus will get quick updates AFTER Google finalizes the OS update and actually releases it. As of now, it is still a developer preview. Google releases it by making the factory images available for the Nexus devices, so the Nexus users can download these images and flash it, or be patient and wait for it to be pushed out OTA usually within a week or so after the factory images are made available.

Non-Nexus devices usually take a few months after that (Moto X has been getting the updates in a month or so after the Factory images are released)

This time, it sounds like Google is doing a staggered release of the images - first for the tablets (likely just after the new Nexus tablets), and then for the phones (likely just after the new Nexus 6) - but the same concept as above. First the Nexus device images. Non-Nexus devices sometime after that.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'm very eager to see if this update improves the battery life as some have said it will.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I thought the whole point of a nexus was getting quick updates? Why are we waiting so long?

Posted via Android Central App

They will release when they are ready. Nexus devices get quick updates as compared to other devices. Get a samsung phone and see how long it takes. I don't know why people freak out over this.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Been running the devloper release since it came out, a little rough around the edges but I still like it better than Kit Kat. I installed the preview yesterday, so far it's been great. If you want Lollypop now just download it and install it. All you need is the fast boot program from the developkit and the hammerhead-lpx13d-preview-f7596f51 tar file. When you ungzip and untar it you get the following files,

bootloader-hammerhead-hhz12d.img
flash-all.bat
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
image-hammerhead-lpx13d.zip
radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.2.21.img

Just copy fastboot into the same directory or put it in your search path amd then do
flash-all.sh (on Linux)
flash-all.bat (on Windows)

That's all you have to do. After it does the install you just login and let it restore your apps.

Birk Binnard

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
bjrosen:

Thanks for the info, but does following your steps wipe the phone of all user data or not? The posts I've seen about flashing L all say they do wipe the phone. And what do you mean by "let it restore your apps"? Does your procedure restore all KitKat apps? If so, where does it restore from?

Or does it install L by simply replacing KitKat alone, without disturbing apps or user data?

alighasempoor

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
bjrosen:

Thanks for the info, but does following your steps wipe the phone of all user data or not? The posts I've seen about flashing L all say they do wipe the phone. And what do you mean by "let it restore your apps"? Does your procedure restore all KitKat apps? If so, where does it restore from?

Or does it install L by simply replacing KitKat alone, without disturbing apps or user data?

I think it will wipe all of your data and after u upgraded to android L and connect to your google account all application will download automatically... But about app data I'm not sure

Posted via the Android Central App

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes it will wipe the phone. I usually use Helium but it's not working on L so you''l have to backup things by hand. All of my photos go to Dropbox. You should have all of yours on Dropbox or on GDrive or both so you won't have to worry about losing them. If have you other files that you need to back up I suggest that you use ES File Explorer to copy them to your PC over WiFI. ES File Explorer understands SAMBA exports (Shared folders in Windows parlance) so all you have to do is copy them to your shared folder on your PC.

All of your apps will be automatically restored however you will have to set those that require accounts up again. I had to setup K9 Mail, Pandora, iHeartRadio, MYFIOS and Sygic.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Well now that Verge and other tech reviewing companies have gotten its hands on the new Nexus devices, I think Android Lollipop might be rolling out sooner than expected. It doesn't make sense to review devices that are running developer previews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair