Drop calls on Nexus 5 ATT!

Aj Irawan

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Past days I've been getting a very constant drop calls incoming and outgoing. Whenever I try to make a phone call the bar shows full LTE and all of sudden it goes down to 0 bar and disconnected and goes back to LTE. Does anyone know if this is software, hardware or carrier issue? I'm on AT&T. Thank you

Posted via the Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Past days I've been getting a very constant drop calls incoming and outgoing. Whenever I try to make a phone call the bar shows full LTE and all of sudden it goes down to 0 bar and disconnected and goes back to LTE. Does anyone know if this is software, hardware or carrier issue? I'm on AT&T. Thank you

i had the same problem over the last few days. i try to call someone and it rings 1 time and immediately disconnects/hangs up. it didn't happen with every call just some. hasn't happened recently but i don't know what the fix is.

Nexus 5 + AT&T GoPhone

hyperhtml

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I too have been having this issue on AT&T over the last few days... Contemplating a new phone. Thought it was the end of the device.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Been happening to me too, thought it was the device or possibly at&t's network in the area I am in (traveling in the NY Metro Area) as back home I was not noticing this issue.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Ratmak

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you guys stock? Rooted? Different ROM? I'm having the same problem (and like Dan1431, I'm in NY metro, though I had trouble yesterday in Trenton also), and I'm wondering if the modem firmware we're using has gone out of support or is otherwise flawed. I'm running CM11, M11 and my modem is KTU84Q. I found it under Settings / About Phone / Build Number. I poked around on the internets today looking for news about an update I should apply or a modem that works better, but no luck yet.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
stock Nexus 5 here with latest/most current OTA version of stock KitKat on AT&T GoPhone BYOD. i'm on east coast not too far away from NYC. i'll be upgrading to the Nexus 6 soon so i hope there's no issue there. also Lollipop may provide new radios for Nexus 5.

i had the same problem for a few days mid-summer but then it stopped. this weekend it is back!

Khalid Brown1

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I am having same problem. In NYC area. If this does not change soon getting moto x. Can't make any calls.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
At&ts 4g network is garbage (here on the east end of long island at least)! It is what has stopped me from getting a smartphone for the past few years. All the phones are constantly trying to aquire a 4g signal and since there is none (not a strong one at least) it goes back and forth between 3g and 4g and in the end has no reception. (My old Nokia bar phone (which I currently still use) has fine 2g reception. All of the smartphones available from at t don't have an option to select the preferred network type so I just purchased a nexus 5 because I am hoping that I can just set it to only look for a 3g or even a 2g network (which has fine signal strength) and just use WiFi without a data plan and finally have a smartphone that can actually make a phone call!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
At&ts 4g network is garbage (here on the east end of long island at least)! It is what has stopped me from getting a smartphone for the past few years. All the phones are constantly trying to aquire a 4g signal and since there is none (not a strong one at least) it goes back and forth between 3g and 4g and in the end has no reception. (My old Nokia bar phone (which I currently still use) has fine 2g reception. All of the smartphones available from at t don't have an option to select the preferred network type so I just purchased a nexus 5 because I am hoping that I can just set it to only look for a 3g or even a 2g network (which has fine signal strength) and just use WiFi without a data plan and finally have a smartphone that can actually make a phone call!

I've had AT&T for the last 12 months. I switched from Sprint. After I switched I was shocked at just how fast and ubiquitous AT&T's LTE is. Out of 12 months of use I've been very pleased with the coverage except for a few odd times with this random disconnect event. Evidence suggests the issue is probably a Nexus 5 + AT&T sync issue than it is a network defect or deficiency. I only hear Nexus 5 + AT&T users bringing up this issue.

Aj Irawan

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I called Google and ATT to get some troubleshoot. Ended up getting a new sim card and at the same time they put my IMEI in their system. So far with LTE I'm not having any problem receiving or making calls. It may somewhat have something to do with them upgrading their VOLTE

deVaper

May 1, 2013
Visit site
It's not just the Nexus 5, the OnePlus One is having the same dropped calls problem with AT&T in the region. There are several threads about this on the OPO forums. (forums.oneplus.net)

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
i try to call someone and it rings 1 time and immediately disconnects/hangs up.

This is what happens to me. I have a Nexus 5 with GoPhone service. I live near Lancaster, PA. I first noticed it yesterday (Monday, October 27).

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
It is something in the NY Metro area, it has been worse today than it was yesterday, almost every call it seems to happen on now. I have watched the network indicator go to the "No Network" Icon and then back to LTE.

I emailed a buddy who works as an Engineer for another provider, he speculated that it might be an issue with HD Voice (aka VoLTE) and at&t potentially having the network in testing and the network mishandling "grey" IMEIs (or unbranded handsets) and trying to either upgrade them to VoLTE and the device being unable to handle it and thus dropping the call as it is unable to drop back down to 3G.

Take it for whatever it is worth,
Dan

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It is something in the NY Metro area, it has been worse today than it was yesterday, almost every call it seems to happen on now. I have watched the network indicator go to the "No Network" Icon and then back to LTE.

Some of you have mentioned a flaky signal. I haven't noticed that at all. I have strong, consistent LTE. Texts are working fine too (as far as I know). It's just the voice calls cutting out.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
It's not just the Nexus 5, the OnePlus One is having the same dropped calls problem with AT&T in the region. There are several threads about this on the OPO forums. (forums.oneplus.net)

my guess is the problem happens with any BYOD device which isn't an official AT&T branded device.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
It very much might be any unbranded handset as these are the risks we run having unbranded handsets.

I spoke with a colleague on at&t with a GPe M8 and he is having the same issues.

I have a sense that it is something to do with voice as DATA is perfectly fine.

Oddly colleagues in NJ are not experiencing these issues.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke