I'm curious, is there a way to schedule a text message to be sent at a specific time later in the day through the Google Hangouts app?

For example, it's 6:15 a.m. right now, and I would like to text someone after they wake up today, but I may be sleeping by the time they get up, so I'm wondering if there is a way to schedule my phone to send out a text message 2 hours from now at 8:15 a.m.?

It seems as though there are several third-party apps that claim to do this - and I may end up trying one of those apps - but I would prefer to not install any other Texting apps on my phone, if possible, so I would like to find out if there is a way to do through through Google Hangouts.

I have T-Mobile service on a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4 and I use the version of Hangouts that is automatically installed on my phone for text messaging. I don't have any other Text Message apps installed on my phone.

By the way, if there is no way to do this through Google Hangouts, could someone please try to recommend me a 3rd-party app that will do this that they have used? Helpful replies will be very much appreciated!
    kchannel9 likes this.
    10-29-2014 09:21 AM
    Hangouts won't let you do that - not directly at least.

There are a few other options though. Here, in the US, most carriers provide an Email address that can be used to send a text message. For example, see this link.
    With that in mind, you can
    • Turn off data connections on your phone
    • Compose Email to the SMS Email address
    • Set up tasker to enable data connection at the appropriate time

But third party SMS apps like Go SMS Pro offer the ability to schedule SMS messages - I'm guessing there are other apps too - I've not used any of them though.
    10-29-2014 11:04 AM
    I'm curious, is there a way to schedule a text message to be sent at a specific time later in the day through the Google Hangouts app?

For example, it's 6:15 a.m. right now, and I would like to text someone after they wake up today, but I may be sleeping by the time they get up, so I'm wondering if there is a way to schedule my phone to send out a text message 2 hours from now at 8:15 a.m.?

It seems as though there are several third-party apps that claim to do this - and I may end up trying one of those apps - but I would prefer to not install any other Texting apps on my phone, if possible, so I would like to find out if there is a way to do through through Google Hangouts.

I have T-Mobile service on a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4 and I use the version of Hangouts that is automatically installed on my phone for text messaging. I don't have any other Text Message apps installed on my phone.

By the way, if there is no way to do this through Google Hangouts, could someone please try to recommend me a 3rd-party app that will do this that they have used? Helpful replies will be very much appreciated!

**voice command with google now**

is it possible?

me: "ok google, send a text to professor at 2pm tomorrow"

google now: "ok, what do you want the text to say?"

me: "thanks"

google now: "sending text for tomorrow at 2pm to professor.."....

android today, can be quite, clever, how connected it is all around..

try it..

test it by text to landline, from your mobile, to your home / work phone, in the span of 5 minutes.. just to see.. if it works in timing..
    10-29-2014 11:37 AM
    **voice command with google now**

is it possible?

me: "ok google, send a text to professor at 2pm tomorrow"

google now: "ok, what do you want the text to say?"

me: "thanks"

google now: "sending text for tomorrow at 2pm to professor.."....

android today, can be quite, clever, how connected it is all around..

try it..

test it by text to landline, from your mobile, to your home / work phone, in the span of 5 minutes.. just to see.. if it works in timing..
    Wow, does that work???

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-30-2014 07:02 AM
    It would have been awesome if it did, but when I tried, it just tried to send a text with the message "at 2pm tomorrow". Did it work for you?
    10-30-2014 08:40 AM
    It would have been awesome if it did, but when I tried, it just tried to send a text with the message "at 2pm tomorrow". Did it work for you?
    LOL

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-30-2014 09:30 AM
    naw, it didn't work for me, thought it would

seems one would need a 3rd parti plug -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nmessage&hl=en

or hack around underneath the carpet -

Baydin Blogs about Email – Schedule text messages from your Gmail
    10-30-2014 11:11 AM