Is the Nexus 5 Cell signal reception really that bad?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I just got a nexus 5 (16gb black). This will be my 3rd try at a smart phone over the last 2 years. I had to return the other 2 phones because of weak signal reception. (I was missing my calls, constantly dropped etc.)

After ordering the n5 I proceeded to read some of the threads in this section and notice that the n5 apparently suffers some kind of problem with weak reception/cheap cell antenna?

Can some of you who have owned this device for a while either confirm or deny this?

Is it really that bad or is this just a few unhappy people almost thousands of satisfied customers who enjoy good problem free reception on a daily basis?

I am on At&t by the way. I am just going to put my dumb phone Sim into it with no data plan and use WiFi for internet and probably just select 2g for my cell network preference. Thanks

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I can tell you it is very poor and unreliable. Not only for signal strength, but for GPS strenght. I often lose GPS tracking as I'm using Google Maps/Navigation.

And I know it's not my service (Tmobile) because my previous phones, the HTC One M7 and iPhone 5, held perfectly good reception in the same areas (home, office, during my commute, etc.).

It's one of my biggest issues with my Nexus 5.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
What about when switched to 2g? I have a feeling the problem is more with it looking for LTE signal.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've had my nexus 5 since February and have had no issues. I am running stock with no rooting or whatever some people do to their phones. I think that is where a lot of the issues that some complain about, is when they root their phones or launchers and such..

Posted via Android Central App

imrgoodbari

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Cell service when I got the phone was strong, but lately I don't know if it was a software change but my WiFi and Cell service is practically unusable. Yes I gave contacted At&T, Verizon and tried other devices to replicate. Its just an issues with my N5. I have a call in with Google to see if they can help me.

Posted via Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Here on Canada my signal is weaker than previous phones but not horrible, I get reception everywhere just 1 bar less than other devices. No problems with lte on my network, owned for almost 2 months now

Posted via the Android Central App

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yep Signal Sucks, living in a condo downtown Toronto and I only get 1 bar. Its funny how it goes to 5 bars when I go outside to my balcony and when I go back in in immediately drops. No problems with GPS

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Here on Canada my signal is weaker than previous phones but not horrible, I get reception everywhere just 1 bar less than other devices. No problems with lte on my network, owned for almost 2 months now

In the US on T-Mobile my experience is similar. I get a bar or two less than I did on my BB Z10 but I don't notice any performance issue. It does great with WiFi and I use the GPS a lot and have no issues there.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It's fine in a strong area. But, when you're in fringe areas and bouncing in and out of weak signal, it has a hard time recovering. That's what led me to dump it to my kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It's fine in a strong area. But, when you're in fringe areas and bouncing in and out of weak signal, it has a hard time recovering. That's what led me to dump it to my kid.

I've found this to be true, too. It has a hard time reacquiring signal and data, especially LTE. It'll constantly get stuck in HSPA when I know I'm in an area with LTE.

Also, for those saying it's an issue with the bar reading, perhaps that's true. However, I am judging my Nexus 5's poor reception and GPS issues from usage (or lack thereof). When pages and Flipboard don't load properly, or when I the phone suddenly loses my location when I'm using Navigation, that's when I recognize the issue. What's worse is that when this happens, it'll show full bars.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I may have experienced this too, while using Songza and going in/out of weak signal areas and restoring the connection for streaming is more a challenge compared to my previous L1020.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
2 N5's in my house, down to 1, soon down to none. The signal is subpar. Wife still has her N5, I dropped mine a long time ago (good riddance), side by side, I get a signal in many more places than her. Her texts take hours to send at times, mine take seconds. My N5 was the exact same.

LG made this Nexus, so not only am I dissatisfied with the N5, but I am swearing off LG phones completely.

My Moto X has a great signal, just has crap battery at work. My Moto X has a better battery than my N5 though.

All in all, Vanilla Android is Awesome, Nexus 5 is horrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12