11-05-2014 12:13 AM
30 12
tools
    I just got a nexus 5 (16gb black). This will be my 3rd try at a smart phone over the last 2 years. I had to return the other 2 phones because of weak signal reception. (I was missing my calls, constantly dropped etc.)

After ordering the n5 I proceeded to read some of the threads in this section and notice that the n5 apparently suffers some kind of problem with weak reception/cheap cell antenna?

Can some of you who have owned this device for a while either confirm or deny this?

Is it really that bad or is this just a few unhappy people almost thousands of satisfied customers who enjoy good problem free reception on a daily basis?

I am on At&t by the way. I am just going to put my dumb phone Sim into it with no data plan and use WiFi for internet and probably just select 2g for my cell network preference. Thanks
    11-01-2014 02:50 PM
    Yes. I can tell you it is very poor and unreliable. Not only for signal strength, but for GPS strenght. I often lose GPS tracking as I'm using Google Maps/Navigation.

And I know it's not my service (Tmobile) because my previous phones, the HTC One M7 and iPhone 5, held perfectly good reception in the same areas (home, office, during my commute, etc.).

It's one of my biggest issues with my Nexus 5.
    11-01-2014 03:26 PM
    What about when switched to 2g? I have a feeling the problem is more with it looking for LTE signal.
    11-01-2014 04:01 PM
    I've had my nexus 5 since February and have had no issues. I am running stock with no rooting or whatever some people do to their phones. I think that is where a lot of the issues that some complain about, is when they root their phones or launchers and such..

Posted via Android Central App
    brosko likes this.
    11-01-2014 10:27 PM
    Cell service when I got the phone was strong, but lately I don't know if it was a software change but my WiFi and Cell service is practically unusable. Yes I gave contacted At&T, Verizon and tried other devices to replicate. Its just an issues with my N5. I have a call in with Google to see if they can help me.

Posted via Android Central App
    brosko likes this.
    11-01-2014 10:30 PM
    Have had my Nexus 5 for 10 months, no issues with my AT&T signal strength nor WiFi or GPS
    brosko likes this.
    11-01-2014 11:55 PM
    Have had my Nexus 5 for 10 months, no issues with my AT&T signal strength nor WiFi or GPS
    I am assuming your story is the "norm", if not this device wouldn't be so highly praised.
    11-02-2014 06:38 AM
    Here on Canada my signal is weaker than previous phones but not horrible, I get reception everywhere just 1 bar less than other devices. No problems with lte on my network, owned for almost 2 months now

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-02-2014 07:24 AM
    Yep Signal Sucks, living in a condo downtown Toronto and I only get 1 bar. Its funny how it goes to 5 bars when I go outside to my balcony and when I go back in in immediately drops. No problems with GPS
    11-02-2014 10:23 AM
    Here on Canada my signal is weaker than previous phones but not horrible, I get reception everywhere just 1 bar less than other devices. No problems with lte on my network, owned for almost 2 months now

In the US on T-Mobile my experience is similar. I get a bar or two less than I did on my BB Z10 but I don't notice any performance issue. It does great with WiFi and I use the GPS a lot and have no issues there.

11-02-2014 10:52 AM
    Southern California - ATT - excellent in every way. Better voice quality than my last two Samsungs.
    11-02-2014 12:00 PM
    My n5 always shows very few bars but signal is excellent on the New Cricket. (On AT&T towers).
    11-02-2014 01:20 PM
    Judging from the good quality of my voice and data connection, I suspect the problem is in the bar counting display, not the antennae.
    11-02-2014 01:29 PM
    I have had my Nexus 5 since they first came out. No signal issues at all on T-Mobile.
    11-02-2014 03:14 PM
    No signal issues with T-Mobile. Super fast LTE connections. As others have stated, only a few bars but strong connection.
    11-02-2014 07:29 PM
    It's fine in a strong area. But, when you're in fringe areas and bouncing in and out of weak signal, it has a hard time recovering. That's what led me to dump it to my kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-02-2014 07:29 PM
    It's fine in a strong area. But, when you're in fringe areas and bouncing in and out of weak signal, it has a hard time recovering. That's what led me to dump it to my kid.

I've found this to be true, too. It has a hard time reacquiring signal and data, especially LTE. It'll constantly get stuck in HSPA when I know I'm in an area with LTE.

Also, for those saying it's an issue with the bar reading, perhaps that's true. However, I am judging my Nexus 5's poor reception and GPS issues from usage (or lack thereof). When pages and Flipboard don't load properly, or when I the phone suddenly loses my location when I'm using Navigation, that's when I recognize the issue. What's worse is that when this happens, it'll show full bars.
    11-02-2014 10:42 PM
    Not an issue here, n5 on Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    berrydroidapple likes this.
    11-02-2014 11:27 PM

I may have experienced this too, while using Songza and going in/out of weak signal areas and restoring the connection for streaming is more a challenge compared to my previous L1020.
    11-03-2014 09:35 AM
    2 N5's in my house, down to 1, soon down to none. The signal is subpar. Wife still has her N5, I dropped mine a long time ago (good riddance), side by side, I get a signal in many more places than her. Her texts take hours to send at times, mine take seconds. My N5 was the exact same.

LG made this Nexus, so not only am I dissatisfied with the N5, but I am swearing off LG phones completely.

My Moto X has a great signal, just has crap battery at work. My Moto X has a better battery than my N5 though.

All in all, Vanilla Android is Awesome, Nexus 5 is horrible.
    11-03-2014 10:02 AM
    Like other folks here, I have no significant issues with calls even with 1 bar. It's difficult to say if the signal meter is inaccurate, though, because it certainly does go up to 4-5 bars in some areas, as well as at home with my signal booster.
    11-03-2014 07:40 PM
    I've had this issue since day 1(February). Absolutely horrible cell service and I came from a 4S. I kept looking for hope in all the updates but nothing. I have the 820 model, maybe that contributes to the problem. However I've been running android L and have finally noticed somewhat better service

11-03-2014 08:38 PM
    My call quality is great on T-Mobile
    11-03-2014 10:18 PM
    Like other folks here, I have no significant issues with calls even with 1 bar. It's difficult to say if the signal meter is inaccurate, though, because it certainly does go up to 4-5 bars in some areas, as well as at home with my signal booster.
    Yeah I noticed I am getting 0 to 2 bars at best in my house but outside it is a solid 2-3. I'm going to keep it and thinking about getting an at&t micro cell. How does yours work?

Also I compared my wife's s3 mini with the nexus 5 in the about phone menu (where it shows actual reception in dbm/asu) and her phone is slightly better than the n5 (give or take 2-7 dbm's) so it does seem to have a slightly weak antenna but not horrible. With a micro cell I should be fine.
    11-04-2014 08:59 PM
    I've had this issue since day 1(February). Absolutely horrible cell service and I came from a 4S. I kept looking for hope in all the updates but nothing. I have the 820 model, maybe that contributes to the problem. However I've been running android L and have finally noticed somewhat better service

Interesting. Could lollipop have helped the cell reception a little bit?
    11-04-2014 09:01 PM
30 12