Lollipop killed stock "email" app!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You can have multiple accounts in the Gmail app. No need to delete one account to add another for a work account.

If you don't want notifications for an account you can turn off notifications for that account only. Or remove the account I suppose if you don't need it.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your question...

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lollipop killed stock "email" app!

If the problem account is the default, administrator account on the phone (the account you used when doing the initial setup) it's difficult to delete.

I don't know of any way to include some accounts in the combined inbox and exclude other accounts. It's combine them all or none. AFAIK your options are:

1. If you don't need to get email from the problem account anymore, factory reset the phone and start over using a different account. Skip adding the problem account. But remember, apps both free and paid you installed will still be associated with the old account. For free apps it doesn't matter but it will be difficult, maybe impossible to transfer the paid apps. You might have to buy all or some paid apps again. Or, see #4 below.

2. If you do still need to get email from the problem account, stop using a combined inbox. Then you can turn off notifications in the problem account so you aren't bothered by all the spam causing needless notifications.

3. If you still need to get email from the problem account but want to keep using the combined inbox, go to the problem account online and create filters for the spam so you can continue to use the combined inbox without clogging it up with spam. If you get a lot of spam from a lot of senders it will take some time to set filters. And you will still get notifications when spam arrives unless you turn notifications off.

4. Same as #1 but add the problem account as a secondary account so that you can install software associated with that account and not have to buy it again. Turn email sync off to stop all email including spam and notifications.

Last edited:

teemsaj

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I am not able to search in non-Gmail emails. I just get results from my Gmail account, if any mail with the search keywords is there. It is very frustrating. How am i supposed to search in my official emails??

Eldorado77

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I installed the lollipop on my Nexus 7, but my e-mail are gone (pop3) which was connected to my service provider. Is there any chance that I get back my mails (sent mails) which was stored on my Nexus 7? The provider server doesn't stored the outgoing mails.
Any idea how could I restore it? It should be on the device because the "send mail" app is huge, or at last I hope it. Or could I somehow evacuate the data and recover it from a device which not have the lollipop yet?
I beg you for help, please!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
The Gmail app has replaced the old Email app as the default. It's no longer for Gmail only, it can handle all types of email accounts, including POP3.

Your POP3 account and email should have been automatically transferred into the Gmail app. Have you looked there?

Eldorado77

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it was the first thing I done, but as use an Gmail account also, the other pop3 mail, which I must connected to Gmail (it wasn't at all automatically) was empty, only the new incoming mails was there, the sent not.

gsuburban

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, they did alter the default Android email application. We are not talking about Gmail Application with the red G.
I have gmail addresses and set it up for pop because I prefer not having to have an internet connection to read emails and being forced to "syncronize" or send receive plus the safety factors of having the gmail server emails on my main desktop. IMAP won't allow this and requires us users to depend 100% on Google to store and safeguard emails. I have issues with that especially when the service is free of charge.

So, now if I view any new emails on any other device before I view them on the Droid phone, they will not appear in the Droid app. You get one view of new emails on your phone then, they disappear which is dumb because now you can't go back to them for reference or to forward etc. Why bother? The email app works as I'm used to with POP email which allows multiple devices to view and manipulate emails. The only drawback is the device used to alter or send and forward emails is the only device with the copy or record of them being sent. Gmail POP settings alter this issue by sending a copy to the Gmail in box so all devices can view what was sent however, a little PITA when not needed.

Anyway, yes, they did change how the application works with Gmail and the counter that says how many unread or deleted emails are left is always incorrect as when emptying the deleted emails folder, the counter still shows several emails yet they do not appear. Same goes for the inbox.

The email application needs reworked as it has too many flaws. Then, when you send mail via other applications, the default email program is messed up as to which one it should use if you only have one email address in the Droid email app and others in the Gmail App. For some reason, we cannot tell Droid to use the Gmail app for default email unless there are no email accounts in the Droid email app. They messed it up large and they should do a fix because not everyone is keen about "Internet Based Web Browser Email" software. The default "client" email program that comes with Droid is the best of them, just like outlook express, windows live mail, outlook, Thunderbird etc. Client email is a no frills down to business email application which obviously won't communicate with all the Google stuff like Google+, your google account and so forth. That's why some of us still choose the Droid email app for email needs when it comes to work vs. personal play time and it handles attachments much better and is less prone to mistakes.

gsuburban

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm from the POP3 days and still prefer it over the new IMAP and "conversation" design. I spend way too much time sifting through a Gmail email when they are sent and replied to a few times, Gmail hides some conversation and displays others which are inconsistent then to reply, scroll to the bottom. The kitkat email app at least did POP3 like outlook does. No frills, just client email processing, thats all I want. I hope we aren't stuck with what I call internet browser based email because email clients do the job way faster and professionally without all the various tie ins to Google Plus and all that other stuff.

gsuburban

May 23, 2015
Visit site
You can turn that off however, they still group or combine emails into one vs. send a new email message with the string of conversation below. It's so confusing...I prefer client email apps. like outlook, windows live mail or thunderbird.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lollipop killed stock "email" app!

No offense, but I have no idea from all that you wrote why you use POP3, especially for Gmail accounts, or what you are doing with POP3 that IMAP can't do much better. From what you say, IMHO you're doing things the hard way just because it's what you're familiar with.

If you want to keep email on the phone so you're not dependent on an internet connection to read mail, simplify set the email client to sync lotsa mail. I have several accounts set to sync 1000 emails.

You said something about you're used to how POP3 allows multiple devices to view and manipulate email. But isn't that the biggest weakness of POP3, that email that has been read, replied or otherwise dealt with is not synced to other devices? For example, you had to set POP3 Gmail to forward a copy of sent mail to the inbox for other device's. With IMAP it's not necessary, sent mail syncs everywhere. It just works.

IMAP can do much more. With POP3, almost all operations must be done on the device or computer. Filtering mail sorting mail into folders, creating folders and much more has to be setup and done locally, one device or computer at a time. With IMAP just setup filters, folders, etc one time on the server side and you're done. Everything - mail filtering, sorting into folders, etc, whatever you setup - automatically syncs to all devices and computers. And of course mail handled locally on your phone automatically syncs to everything else.

And there's those handy push notifications in IMAP.

If you don't like the conversation view in the Gmail app, (I don't) just use another client. There's plenty to choose from - Type Mail, Maildroid, Cloud Magic, K-9, My Mail etc. Those are just a few. My favorite is AquaMail.

Try a few, and give IMAP a chance.

Mannikon

May 11, 2015
Visit site
UK user here, Lollipop on Note 4. I still have stock Android email app and Gmail. Nothing has been "migrated". I never look at Gmail app, all my emails and email accounts are intact in stock Android email app. Everyone I know here in the UK is on Lollipop and they all use the old Android email app. US problem only?

Eldorado77

May 19, 2015
Visit site
UK user here, Lollipop on Note 4. I still have stock Android email app and Gmail. Nothing has been "migrated". I never look at Gmail app, all my emails and email accounts are intact in stock Android email app. Everyone I know here in the UK is on Lollipop and they all use the old Android email app. US problem only?

Hi! No, I am from Europe, it is an European issue, and I think specially on Google Nexus 7. The normal e-mail app doesn't work for me any more but it tells that the mails has been moved to Gmail, which isn't true and linked me to Gmail app.
Reading other topics on this site, I learned that the mails could be in the android database on the device. Could please someone tell me how will be possible to evacuate the data from the database? Unfortunately I'm not a developer, so alone I will never learn it.

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site

No, I'm a N5 user from the UK and I have GMail setup for ISP POP3 mail only, and I use Inbox for actual GMail mail.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy