Lollipop killed stock "email" app!

Cedric Jucker

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
hello,
The new Gmail for Exchange does not sync contact and calendar!! this sucks!tried to wipe but still the same.
mails works great!
hopefully a patch will be there soon!!
C

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
hello,
The new Gmail for Exchange does not sync contact and calendar!! this sucks!tried to wipe but still the same.
mails works great!
hopefully a patch will be there soon!!
C

It absolutely does. You probably didn't select Contacts and Calendar in the setup process?

Posted via the Android Central App

imatlin

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
It absolutely does. You probably didn't select Contacts and Calendar in the setup process?

Well...my exchange contacts did not sync- at least a large number of them did not - even though contacts are selected for synchronization and shows last sync time of just a few minutes ago. Grrr. :mad:

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Well...my exchange contacts did not sync- at least a large number of them did not - even though contacts are selected for synchronization and shows last sync time of just a few minutes ago. Grrr. :mad:

That weird. Talk to your Exchange manager?

panamateur

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I also would like to keep my Exchange accounts separate from the gmail app.

When you open the email app and click on 'learn more' it says it is possible to use the separate apps for different email accounts, and that you can do this via Settings > Accounts. But all this allows you to do is switch on/off which accounts are currently syncing, not select which apps are used for which accounts.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I also would like to keep my Exchange accounts separate from the gmail app.

When you open the email app and click on 'learn more' it says it is possible to use the separate apps for different email accounts, and that you can do this via Settings > Accounts. But all this allows you to do is switch on/off which accounts are currently syncing, not select which apps are used for which accounts.

I doubt they mean that. Who knows where that came from. The new Gmail has definitely replaced the Email app.

If you want separate apps, like I do, get Nine. By far the best Exchange app, 10,000 times better than that garbage Gmail/Email for Exchange.

panamateur

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I doubt they mean that. Who knows where that came from. The new Gmail has definitely replaced the Email app.

If you want separate apps, like I do, get Nine. By far the best Exchange app, 10,000 times better than that garbage Gmail/Email for Exchange.

The full help message reads:

Manage all your mail in Gmail

If you use the Email app on some Android devices, you might notice that your mail has already been transferred to the new Gmail app. Don’t worry, none of your data has been lost—it's just in a new place.

With the latest Gmail app, you can read and send mail from all your email addresses (even if none of them are a gmail.com or Google for Work account), and easily switch between them.

Use separate apps for different accounts

If you have email from other providers, like Yahoo or Hotmail, that you don't want to manage on the Gmail app, follow these steps:

Go to the Settings app on your phone. Scroll down to the Accounts section. Under POP3 or IMAP, you should see a list of your non-Gmail email addresses. Remove the ones that you don't want to manage on the Gmail app.

As always, if you prefer to use a different email application, other apps are available for download in the Play Store.

I guess the last line is not saying that if you don't want to have all your accounts in the gmail app you can use the Android email app I was using before, but instead need to purchase a third party app.

Google Watcher

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
GOOGLE MUST BE STOPPED. Their message, "Don't be evil," notwithstanding, Google is evil. They wanted control of all email traffic and tried to get it through "Mail Fetcher," but too many users objected. So, now, the Machiavellian gnomes at Google have simply killed the email app by absorbing it directly into their gmail app. And now there is no longer any choice at all. The sneaky Google mob kindly and clearly tells you how to opt out of having your emails appear in the gmail app but after you set up your non gmail account it simply reappears in the gmail app. How very devilish. It is no wonder they have been fined so often by government regulatory agencies for unsavory business practices.

Take heart, though, there are several good free email apps you can get from the Google play store, such as myMail. I suggest this be the first step in abandoning Google, and so kill their ambitions to take over the world. Yahoo, Bing and others, depending on your needs will do much the same for you without worrying about feeding the runaway behemoth that is Google.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
The full help message reads:

Manage all your mail in Gmail

If you use the Email app on some Android devices, you might notice that your mail has already been transferred to the new Gmail app. Don’t worry, none of your data has been lost—it's just in a new place.

With the latest Gmail app, you can read and send mail from all your email addresses (even if none of them are a gmail.com or Google for Work account), and easily switch between them.

Use separate apps for different accounts

If you have email from other providers, like Yahoo or Hotmail, that you don't want to manage on the Gmail app, follow these steps:

Go to the Settings app on your phone. Scroll down to the Accounts section. Under POP3 or IMAP, you should see a list of your non-Gmail email addresses. Remove the ones that you don't want to manage on the Gmail app.

As always, if you prefer to use a different email application, other apps are available for download in the Play Store.

I guess the last line is not saying that if you don't want to have all your accounts in the gmail app you can use the Android email app I was using before, but instead need to purchase a third party app.

They mean you can use a third party app like Nine for Exchange or Yahoo for Yahoo, etc.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
GOOGLE MUST BE STOPPED. Their message, "Don't be evil," notwithstanding, Google is evil. They wanted control of all email traffic and tried to get it through "Mail Fetcher," but too many users objected. So, now, the Machiavellian gnomes at Google have simply killed the email app by absorbing it directly into their gmail app. And now there is no longer any choice at all. The sneaky Google mob kindly and clearly tells you how to opt out of having your emails appear in the gmail app but after you set up your non gmail account it simply reappears in the gmail app. How very devilish. It is no wonder they have been fined so often by government regulatory agencies for unsavory business practices.

Take heart, though, there are several good free email apps you can get from the Google play store, such as myMail. I suggest this be the first step in abandoning Google, and so kill their ambitions to take over the world. Yahoo, Bing and others, depending on your needs will do much the same for you without worrying about feeding the runaway behemoth that is Google.

What the hell are you talking about? Who do you think controlled the "Email" app before the integration into Gmail?

Mazinga Zeta

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
And why would pay for Nine 9.99$ for very occasional use? Does not make any sense. gMail client covers perfectly my gMail, for exchange will use what is best there for free or at least at NORMAL price for marked, usually tops 2 or 3$.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
And why would pay for Nine 9.99$ for very occasional use? Does not make any sense. gMail client covers perfectly my gMail, for exchange will use what is best there for free or at least at NORMAL price for marked, usually tops 2 or 3$.

Who said very limited use? Exchange mail is my most frequently accessed feature of my phone. In terms of "NORMAL" price, you get what you pay for. The Gmail Exchange client is almost unusable for real professionals that get lot of email.

otgkhan

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I have not yet received the Lollipop update but my friend did and mentioned that the Stock Email app is going away. So I have been trying it out for over a day in parallel to the Stock Email app (since I am still on KitKat). I have been receiving double email notifications and have been checking the email on both apps and going through the same motions. What I noticed that based on same usage, Nine seems to eat up more battery than the Stock Email app. Even though it is still low in greater scheme of things (it is registering at some 6-7% in the battery usage stats but the Stock Email App does not even show up on the list.

While 6-7% does not sound like a good deal but it is still more usage than the Stock App. Has anyone else noticed the battery usage?

Also, two other email apps recommended to me were MailBox and Boxer. Anyone has experience with those? And I think some years back there used to be an Enhanced Email app as well which was a mod of the stock app and some people really loved it.

Thanks

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have not yet received the Lollipop update but my friend did and mentioned that the Stock Email app is going away. So I have been trying it out for over a day in parallel to the Stock Email app (since I am still on KitKat). I have been receiving double email notifications and have been checking the email on both apps and going through the same motions. What I noticed that based on same usage, Nine seems to eat up more battery than the Stock Email app. Even though it is still low in greater scheme of things (it is registering at some 6-7% in the battery usage stats but the Stock Email App does not even show up on the list.

While 6-7% does not sound like a good deal but it is still more usage than the Stock App. Has anyone else noticed the battery usage?

Also, two other email apps recommended to me were MailBox and Boxer. Anyone has experience with those? And I think some years back there used to be an Enhanced Email app as well which was a mod of the stock app and some people really loved it.

Thanks

I think it does use a little more battery. So what?

No, not MailBox, not Boxer. NINE.

Johnnyboy5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thx for the tip on Nine everyone, as I just upgraded to L and really want to keep my work email separate. Downloaded Nine but can't get it to connect to my server. I put in all the correct info and double checked it was accurate. Any suggestions? Thx.

otgkhan

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
The additional battery usage does not seem too bad to make much of a difference I guess. I also found out that Boxer acquired the Dev team for Enhanced Email to that team's efforts have moved into boxer too. There is no Exchange trial for Boxer so it is hard to compare it with Nine and Stock App for now. Mailbox it seems does not have Exchange Syncing as of now.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thx for the tip on Nine everyone, as I just upgraded to L and really want to keep my work email separate. Downloaded Nine but can't get it to connect to my server. I put in all the correct info and double checked it was accurate. Any suggestions? Thx.

Some Exchange servers require manual configuration. Contact your administrator.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci