Lollipop killed stock "email" app!

saukriver

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Cannot stand Lollipoop

1. The AC podcast this week sugarcoated how fouled up Lollipoop is. I hate it. (There is a market for a non-Google Android phone (like they have in China).

2. Destroying the stock email app. was a stupid choice. Why would I want to be forced to use the gmail app?

3. Nine seems okay for Exchange/Outlook accounts. But it seems limited to Exchange accounts.

4. Mailwise app appears to support both Exchange and non-Exchange (such as Pop or IMAP email accounts). Mailwise appears to be the closest to the stock email account that Google destroyed. But there is a stupid "Sent by Mailwise" signature that you have to go in and erase in the settings.

IMPORTANT:
You need to go into Settings in the device and then Accounts and delete the various email accounts sucked into the gmail app.

I cannot say enough bad things about "Lollipop" (it is for suckers). And I am chagrined that the Android Central podcast was full of so much Google apologia about Lollipoop.

Crosswhite17

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Me too. I hate this new idea. Email is still in your apps but if you set up an account in it it still take you to the gmail app. Hope they restore the email app and gallery app in the next update.

Posted via the Android Central App

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why they kept the stock email app in the L update if they aren't going to allow us to use it?

Hopefully that means they have a proper update coming for it in a future update.

I have a POP3 email account that came with my broadband account and I'd like to keep it completely separate from my Gmail setup.

I'm going to see if I can separate it to Inbox.

Posted via Android Central App

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Why do you people want the Email app back?? It was horrible. The Gmail app Exchange features are identical to what Email was (which is garbage), but what's the difference?

For Exchange, you need Nine. For everything else, the new Gmail app is fine.

saukriver

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Lollipoop sucks. I wish I had never "upgraded" to this pos software.

The Android Central boys should be ashamed of the way they absolutely sugarcoated the lag that Lollipoop leaves behind on your device. I hate this system, and I am disappointed in the Android Central boys. My tablet is now a sluggish piece of crap.

Benjamin, please cut the Google apologia. Many of us have never liked gMail and will not use it..

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
That weird. Talk to your Exchange manager?

Well...my exchange contacts did not sync- at least a large number of them did not - even though contacts are selected for synchronization and shows last sync time of just a few minutes ago. Grrr. :mad:

Same problem here. After OTA Lolipop upgrade, I only got a little part of my contacts from exchange. All of the most important contacts (mom, wife, sis, etc) were missing.
I then tried a cache partition wipe. After this, most of my contacts were synced. First I thought I now got all of them, but there are still a few missing.

And it's not a problem of the Exchange service or servers. Those contacts were synced fine under kit kat, are syncing fine in Outlook and even on my old WebOS Touchpad and my Pre 3 the Exchange sync works without Problem.
Definitely a problem with either Lollipop or the GMail app...

PS: does the installation of another mailclient change the contacts sync behaviour? Probably not eh?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
LOL apologia? You just not read my posts. All I'm saying is that there is no difference between having email in Email or Gmail.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. After OTA Lolipop upgrade, I only got a little part of my contacts from exchange. All of the most important contacts (mom, wife, sis, etc) were missing.
I then tried a cache partition wipe. After this, most of my contacts were synced. First I thought I now got all of them, but there are still a few missing.

And it's not a problem of the Exchange service or servers. Those contacts were synced fine under kit kat, are syncing fine in Outlook and even on my old WebOS Touchpad and my Pre 3 the Exchange sync works without Problem.
Definitely a problem with either Lollipop or the GMail app...

PS: does the installation of another mailclient change the contacts sync behaviour? Probably not eh?

That's very annoying. Guess I'm lucky. I'm also smart because I use Nine, as you should.

Johnnyboy5

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've finally got Nine working for my work email and looks good so far. Just a couple of issues/questions for the experts here. Each time i go into the App, it requires a pass code. I don't need this level of security on this app alone, but I can't figure out how to disable this. When I go into security settings, the pass code option is checked and grayed out so it wont let me untik the box. Any suggestions? (NOTE: I HAVE NOW DETERMINED THIS IS A SYSTEM SETTING BY MY IT GUYS) .

Second question: so since I have Nine working now, do I need to disable the exchange account on Gmail app or just ignore it? I think so as I'm getting duplicate notifications, which is annoying. Not sure how to do this as when I try to delete through Manage Accounts it only gives me the option to turn off sync, not to delete account.

Any suggestions on the second issue would be much appreciated. Thx.

Last edited:

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I've finally got Nine working for my work email and looks good so far. Just a couple of issues/questions for the experts here. Each time i go into the App, it requires a pass code. I don't need this level of security on this app alone, but I can't figure out how to disable this. When I go into security settings, the pass code option is checked and grayed out so it wont let me untik the box. Any suggestions? (NOTE: I HAVE NOW DETERMINED THIS IS A SYSTEM SETTING BY MY IT GUYS) .

Second question: so since I have Nine working now, do I need to disable the exchange account on Gmail app or just ignore it? I think so as I'm getting duplicate notifications, which is annoying. Not sure how to do this as when I try to delete through Manage Accounts it only gives me the option to turn off sync, not to delete account.

Any suggestions on the second issue would be much appreciated. Thx.

Disable in Gmail. Make sure Calendar and Contacts set to sync in Nine.

saukriver

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Benjamin_NYC: you can go into the Android device's Settings, then Accounts to disable any email accounts connected to the stock email/gmail.

anon(166548)

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
... All I'm saying is that there is no difference between having email in Email or Gmail...

I disagree. I loathe the GMail app, for the way it jams all messages in a thread into a single blob of text.

Prior to Lollipop I used GMail to get push email (for my gmail account), but I used Email to actually read the messages.

I can no longer do that on Lollipop (without trying multiple alternative clients).

rockstang

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So I just figured out a quick and easy fix. You must have your system rooted. First install Uninstaller Pro (RU) to remove both the stock email app and gmail app. Next install both the stock email and gmail app from the play store. That's it. You are back to the setup you are used to. ;)

Last edited:

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
So I just figured out a quick and easy fix. You must have your system rooted. First install Uninstaller Pro (RU) to remove both the stock email app and gmail app. Next install both the stock email and gmail app from the play store. That's it. You are back to the setup you are used to. ;)

Not if you have a corporate IT policy, it's not the quick and easy fix.

I root my phone I lose my job.

Nine it is.

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
exactly right..........Google upgrades actually degrade productivity...ironic....bad, immature and inexperienced management by Google.

Nirupa Chaudhari

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree.
If I wanted software to run my life, I would use iOS. Give me back my email, Google!
I've seen recommended fixes. What's with "if you linked" your other email accounts with GMail? I didn't. I liked them separate and now, all my other email is scattered? lost?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie