Flashed the factory image last night and noticed that the new blue Messaging app was not installed - rather Hangouts was default installed. No big deal, I installed Messaging from Play Store to try it out, but I thought stock Lollipop was going to come with both? Has Google done ANOTHER 180?

EDIT: I mean "Messenger" - LOL
    11-13-2014 06:09 AM
    So download it from Google Play

Sent from my Nexus 5
    11-13-2014 06:59 AM
    Good job reading.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-13-2014 07:49 AM
    Other than the missing app, how are you liking it? Planning to flash later today.
    11-13-2014 07:56 AM
    Other than the missing app, how are you liking it? Planning to flash later today.
    A lot. See my other thread. This Messenger app can't send texts over 140 characters though. Bug I bet.

11-13-2014 09:29 AM
    Where you able to get it installed? I'm about to flash the factory image and will let you know if it's shows for me. I'm thinking Google may be selecting which devices receive the messenger app pre-installed, rather than including it in all Lollipop updates, or at least the updates to Nexus devices.
    11-13-2014 09:36 AM
    Not a mistake you have to manually download it. I like it better that way because I truly do not want it! Hang outs is great I hope they update hangouts and take some of the visuals from the new SMS app.
    11-13-2014 09:44 AM
    Not a mistake you have to manually download it. I like it better that way because I truly do not want it! Hang outs is great I hope they update hangouts and take some of the visuals from the new SMS app.
    New Messenger app cannot send long texts. Try it.

11-13-2014 09:51 AM
    New Messenger app cannot send long texts. Try it.

Is there anything in the settings that would allow you send text with more than 160 characters? Perhaps by splitting?
    11-13-2014 09:57 AM
    hmmm I will have to try that I know some Carriers limit to 160 but with Rogers it will just spit it for you
    11-13-2014 10:21 AM
    It's the same situation as the transition to Hangouts only. The Nexus 4 system image for 4.4 still included the Messaging app, the Nexus 5 did not. I imagine it's to keep things more consistent within a given phone. If someone who was not "in the know" received an update and suddenly their SMS was handled by a different app it would be confusing.
    TheDroidKid likes this.
    11-13-2014 11:11 AM
    It's the same situation as the transition to Hangouts only. The Nexus 4 system image for 4.4 still included the Messaging app, the Nexus 5 did not. I imagine it's to keep things more consistent within a given phone. If someone who was not "in the know" received an update and suddenly their SMS was handled by a different app it would be confusing.
    Makes sense.

11-13-2014 12:16 PM
    hmmm I will have to try that I know some Carriers limit to 160 but with Rogers it will just spit it for you
    Not a carrier thing. Unless there is a glitch. It always split before. It's the app.

11-13-2014 12:16 PM
    It's really sad Google has to keep forcing products on consumers, products that are so bad that they don't even think people would want to use them unless they're preinstalled defaults.

I guess this means Google will be dropping more of AOSP by the wayside, and just like Chrome and Hangouts and Keyboard, this app will start harvesting personal data for "improvement programs" automatically. Which is a giant disappointment, since no Google service is needed for carrier SMS.

Thoughts? Is Google not going to permanently abandon this part of AOSP?
    11-14-2014 01:07 AM
    It's really sad Google has to keep forcing products on consumers, products that are so bad that they don't even think people would want to use them unless they're preinstalled defaults.

I guess this means Google will be dropping more of AOSP by the wayside, and just like Chrome and Hangouts and Keyboard, this app will start harvesting personal data for "improvement programs" automatically. Which is a giant disappointment, since no Google service is needed for carrier SMS.

Thoughts? Is Google not going to permanently abandon this part of AOSP?
    Huh?

11-14-2014 07:07 AM
    Upon further inspection, this seems to be an issue isolated to sending to iPhone, specifically iPhone 6. What the heck?

11-14-2014 07:11 AM
    Upon further inspection, this seems to be an issue isolated to sending to iPhone, specifically iPhone 6. What the heck?

That's bizarre. No issue from Hangouts I assume?

And what behavior are you observing? Will it not let you type the message > 160 characters, or does it seem to go through but only the first 160 characters are actually received?
    11-14-2014 12:44 PM
    I like the hangouts app but I really wish it had the design and flare of Facebook messenger. I was skeptical about Facebook messenger but then got over my anti-FB sentiment and installed it. It is a pleasant surprise that I wish Google would emulate.
    11-14-2014 01:24 PM
    That's bizarre. No issue from Hangouts I assume?

And what behavior are you observing? Will it not let you type the message > 160 characters, or does it seem to go through but only the first 160 characters are actually received?
    Says sent just like any other text but never received by recipient.

11-14-2014 06:42 PM
    I like the hangouts app but I really wish it had the design and flare of Facebook messenger. I was skeptical about Facebook messenger but then got over my anti-FB sentiment and installed it. It is a pleasant surprise that I wish Google would emulate.
    FB Messenger sucks. They better not copy that resource hog.

11-14-2014 06:43 PM