Help, How to Backup, Flash then Restore from 4.4 to 5.0?

PrimalYeti

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so I appologize if this is a repeat question. I used to be a Blackberry user, and backing up and updating the device was as easy as plugging it into the computer and running Blackberry Link. This will be the first time I try to backup and my Nexus.

I'd like to follow the guide that was posted on this blog about installing 5.0 from the factory image ( i can't post the link, but its safeurl is 'android-50-hits-nexus-devices-heres-how-update'), but I'd like to backup all my apps, their settings, texts, pictures, etc first, then flash it to get a fresh install then restore the backups.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers! :)

Fubie

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
I think something better to do would be to look into Helium Backup for your PC. There is an app for it, and the developer is Clockwork Mod: https://www.clockworkmod.com/carbon

There are other backup apps that do quite well, like Superbackup: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&token=bDEZFW_n

See how either of those work.

Have you successfully restored backups using Helium after installing a new ROM or updating a stock ROM? I ask because I have had zero luck even with my backups saved to my Google Drive.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Start with defining what you need to backup.
  • Pictures - enable G+ auto backup
  • Contacts - store on Gmail (or outlook.com etc) - backed up automatically
  • Calendar - store on Gmail (or outlook.com etc) - backed up automatically
  • Apps: There is really no need to backup apps specifically - apps will be re-downloaded when you connect to the play store. The backup process for 'app settings/data' will vary, but usually, you can go into the settings for the app, and look for options to back those up into a file. Back up those individual files to cloud storage (box/dropbox/copy/GoogleDrive/OneDrive etc)
  • Texts: You will need to use some app to do this - search the play store for SMS backup restore apps and pick one of the popular/highly-rated ones. I usually don't backup/restore SMS because I don't need it.

Also, try this out - http://www.androidauthority.com/helium-chrome-backup-without-root-567171/

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll offer another nod to Helium (Carbon) as I've used that in the past for saving app data without having to root. One thing I will note is that backing up texts including SMS and MMS is AWFUL in Android. I tried several different apps to back everything up and restore it and was left with TONS of messages with a date stamp in the year 1970. I've yet to find one that really works well but the only one I THINK might have done the job is Backup to Gmail. Others might have some additional experience, but that is just my 2 cents. Helium is great for backing up app data/game saves for those that don't link into Facebook or something else.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you successfully restored backups using Helium after installing a new ROM or updating a stock ROM? I ask because I have had zero luck even with my backups saved to my Google Drive.

I tried it once and it didn't work well...hardly a fair assessment.

PrimalYeti

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I ended up backing up with Helium and Superbackup, as well as copying everything over to my computer. Somehow, all the backups didn't transfer, or were somewhere I didnt have access to. Google ended up restoring my contacts and calender, pictures I was able to copy back but I will be enabling google pictures backup, apps were automatically reinstalled (not sure how) but none of the preferences came through, and all my texts were lost.

Either way, I'm happy, I got Lollipop installed and it was a fun learning experience :)

Partof300

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
You really don't need to back up anything. I just wiped, installed, and my desktop was exactly the same. Even asked if I wanted to install all the same apps that I had previously installed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon