Any confirmed nexus 5 OTA drops for lollipop?

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Can be done on windows, Mac, or linux.
To any Arch linux users here, just type "sudo pacman -S android-tools android-udev", add yourself to adbusers group, and you are ready to go. They are tiny packages (from the standard repos) that take only a few secs to install.

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Chose not to encrypt.
The problem with encryption is that you need to enter your PIN or password (not pattern) every time you turn on your screen, so I've read. That's too inconvenient. I use an app to keep my phone unlocked at home — from what I understand, encryption will prevent this from working.

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Ya does anyone know exactly how the encryption works? I don't really care if the government spies on me. Anything to keep the people safe. But I don't want hackers getting into my stuff

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
does anyone know exactly how the encryption works?
I believe it's standard Linux encryption. The SSD is encrypted, and the key is your password. When you boot your phone, you need the password to decrypt.

It is possible to keep it decrypted and to protect the phone with (say) a pattern, or even with nothing; a reboot or power-down would need your password again.

However, Google's implementation seems not to allow that flexibility.

Encryption won't protect against hackers.

It will protect against someone breaking open your phone to access your SSD. Encryption is important if you hold sensitive data (e.g. bank details) in case your phone is stolen or lost.

flippedout

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
On my N9 I only have to enter my pin after a reboot. No need to enter every time you unlock the device. My company requires a pin for exchange but luckily I am paired to a Bluetooth speaker at work and then another at home so I can bypass the pin using the new trusted Bluetooth.

Posted via the Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The problem with encryption is that you need to enter your PIN or password (not pattern) every time you turn on your screen, so I've read. That's too inconvenient. I use an app to keep my phone unlocked at home — from what I understand, encryption will prevent this from working.

I do use a PIN, but will probably not use encryption as we have always had it available

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Does the 5 need to have an active sim card in it or will it receive the ota if just on WiFi?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Does the 5 need to have an active sim card in it or will it receive the ota if just on WiFi?

WIFI only is fine. any internet data connection will work. carrier makes no difference. location makes no difference.

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife got her N5 update yesterday.

Her N5, her first and only Google device.

I'm still waiting on my N5 and N7.

I have had every Nexus phone, 2 Nexus tablets, Chromebook, heavy user of Google services... yet I wait for my update while my wife who could give 2 sh&#$s about Google gets hers.

:mad:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
My wife got her N5 update yesterday.

Her N5, her first and only Google device.

I'm still waiting on my N5 and N7.

I have had every Nexus phone, 2 Nexus tablets, Chromebook, heavy user of Google services... yet I wait for my update while my wife who could give 2 sh&#$s about Google gets hers.

:mad:

a cruel and bitter irony.

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Google really needs to simplify the process. If you want the update it should be as easy as downloading and hitting install not this adb bs. Not that it's hard windows is a pain in the *** to deal with along with the drivers that seem to work half the time.

Posted via God

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Google really needs to simplify the process. If you want the update it should be as easy as downloading and hitting install not this adb bs.
I agree, but you should not have to download anything or use a PC etc. Pressing the "check for updates" button on the phone should initiate the update immediately. Google can stagger it for the punters. Most of them have probably not even heard about Android Lollipop/5.0 and couldn't care less if it takes a few weeks. Anybody keen enough to push the button should get it asap.

As I have said countless times, Google are a generally good company that do some fantastic things but there are aspects of how they operate which completely baffle me. Most particularly their deliberately clandestine communication about what and when they release stuff.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon