Why is my Nexus 5 Manual OTA Stuck?

Noah Wass

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 Manual OTA Stuck!

Hey all -

I'm attempting to manually update from Android 4.4 to 5.0 and I'm stuck at one of the last steps. I was following the guide on AndroidCentral for manually updating your N5 and am on the step of typing 'adb sideload OTA file.zip' into Terminal (I'm on Linux Ubuntu).

When I type 'adb sideload OTA file.zip' (obviously using a shortened filename here), I get an error in Terminal that says * cannot read 'sideload' *.

What now?

{update} I've checked that the ZIP file is in the same directory as ADB. It is. I'm now downloading a new update file to make sure that the first wasn't corrupted.

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Manual OTA Stuck!

You certain the zip file is in the same directory as the adb? If not are you referencing the correct directory? Error sounds like the file doesn't exist where you're specifying

Posted via the Android Central App

Marty22_4

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Have the same problem !!! Says cannot read ota file.zip and i have it in the same directory as well. Dont know what do

Birk Binnard

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Check to see that the size of your zip file matches the correct size. The correct file size is 502,777,5160 bytes; size on disk is 502,779,904.

Marty22_4

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Yep, correct size and everything. Really have no idea what could be wrong but it seems like more people have this problem ( find a few of the same comment under videos on youtube).

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

To be honest I found AC's tutorial a little strange. I used an online video tutorial by some guy who goes by raybansandfedora on YouTube .

Posted via the Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

From [INFO] Nexus 5 OTA Help-Desk | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

1) Download the OTA.zip on your PC, rename the file update.zip, then place file in the same directory as adb.
2) Make sure you have USB Debugging checking in the Developer Options, then connect your phone.
3) Open the command prompt from the directory above on your PC and type the command: 'adb reboot recovery'
4) When in recovery, you’ll see an android laying down. Press volume up and release. The menu will appear. Select “apply update from adb”
5) Using the command prompt type: 'adb sideload update.zip' The file will load and the update will begin.
6) When completed, select reboot.

Can you confirm that you are doing all these steps in the right sequence?

Irpack

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Same problem for me. Troubleshooting issue in thread "I got lollipop and here's how to do it." All the suggestions checked and re-checked, still getting cannot read error when at adb sideload step.

Posted via Android Central App

Birk Binnard

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Noah Wass:

Are you using a MAC? I read another post here where several MAC users have encountered the same problem using the Safari browser to do the download. But one said he tried IE11 and that one worked OK. I have no idea why this should matter, but apparently it does.

Marty22_4

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Checked everything. The only thing i am not sure about is the directory. I have both update.zip and adb (3 files) in C/android/adt bundle../sdk/platfrom tools.
Everything else is checked and I have no idea what could be the problem.

update : So I just got the OTA update but this issue still seems unsolved (for many people). Guess we will never find out.

Last edited: