Everything about the Nexus 6 looks great, except that the huge screen will be a PITA for one-handed operation. The Nexus 5 is a great size but the hardware is getting old and since I am going to have to keep this next phone for another 2 years, I'm worried about it slowing down after another 2 years! I have a Galaxy S3 with T-Mobile now and it can be pretty painful sometimes now that I've updated the OS, apps are getting more intensive, etc... I hate all the OEM-specific apps they force you to have (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc...). That's what looks so nice about the Google phones, they don't have all that junk. Is the Nexus 5 a magic silver bullet in the performance realm? Is it quick and snappy with Lollipop OS? Or does it bring the phone to it's knees?

I read through a bit of the "Nexus 5 on Lollipop Issues" thread, but I'm more looking for an overall sense of how it performs with Lollipop, not just a thread detailing every little issue.

Or are the Galaxy S5 or LG G3 good enough because of their faster chipsets/hardware and the screen size is closer to the GS3 I'm used to?

Thanks in advance!
    11-17-2014 09:18 AM
    Everything about the Nexus 6 looks great, except that the huge screen will be a PITA for one-handed operation. The Nexus 5 is a great size but the hardware is getting old and since I am going to have to keep this next phone for another 2 years, I'm worried about it slowing down after another 2 years! I have a Galaxy S3 with T-Mobile now and it can be pretty painful sometimes now that I've updated the OS, apps are getting more intensive, etc... I hate all the OEM-specific apps they force you to have (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc...). That's what looks so nice about the Google phones, they don't have all that junk. Is the Nexus 5 a magic silver bullet in the performance realm? Is it quick and snappy with Lollipop OS? Or does it bring the phone to it's knees?

I read through a bit of the "Nexus 5 on Lollipop Issues" thread, but I'm more looking for an overall sense of how it performs with Lollipop, not just a thread detailing every little issue.

Or are the Galaxy S5 or LG G3 good enough because of their faster chipsets/hardware and the screen size is closer to the GS3 I'm used to?

Thanks in advance!
    nobody can tell you if a phone will be too big for you - only you can make that decision. personally i have no problem with a Nexus 6. my bet is that if you don't get the Nexus 6 you will always regret it for the next two years. the Nexus 6 will future proof you more than any other phone on the market today.

good luck.
    11-17-2014 09:42 AM
    Get the Moto X.
    11-17-2014 11:51 AM
    What concerns you most about the Nexus 5's hardware? Is is the SOC, the camera, the RAM or something else?
    Jonneh likes this.
    11-17-2014 11:53 AM
    It's mostly the chipset, ram, and overall performance of the nexus 5 that worries me, that in 2 more years it will be way too slow after 2 years worth OS upgrades. And, T-Mobile doesn't offer the Moto-X do they? I don't see it in the store or on the website.
    11-17-2014 12:00 PM
    Unlocked Moto-X will work on T-mobile and also look at the Oneplus One. Both are great phones
    11-17-2014 12:25 PM
    I had a nexus 4 that I just recently sold . it was perfect phone nothing slowed that phone down . I just sold it because I needed more space that one only had 8 GB . and I'm using nexus 5 since came out so I think u r good for two years even if u buy nexus 5 today but if u r not on a tight budget then u should by moto x 2014 . for nexus 6 alternative I would go for Sony xperia Z3 .

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-17-2014 10:04 PM
    I think the Nexus 5 is easily good for 2 more years. I just bought mine 3 months ago. Its extremely fast.

salmanahmad likes this.
    11-17-2014 10:07 PM
    It's mostly the chipset, ram, and overall performance of the nexus 5 that worries me, that in 2 more years it will be way too slow after 2 years worth OS upgrades. And, T-Mobile doesn't offer the Moto-X do they? I don't see it in the store or on the website.
    The Nexus 5 is still a great, fast phone. One of the fastest around. Anything that came out this year will not be faster. Heck, there's a speed test video floating around where the nexus 5 is actually faster than the nexus 6. Don't ask me why, it just is.
    11-18-2014 12:32 AM
    The Nexus 5 is still a great, fast phone. One of the fastest around. Anything that came out this year will not be faster. Heck, there's a speed test video floating around where the nexus 5 is actually faster than the nexus 6. Don't ask me why, it just is.
    Yeah I believe Anandtech found that an unencrypted Nexus 5 has much faster read/write speeds than a Nexus 6(which is encrypted by default).

And the differences in speed aren't small, there are quite huge.
    11-18-2014 11:10 AM
    Now reverse the silly test. Turn encryption ON for the Nexus 5 and turn encryption OFF for the Nexus 6. Compare speed again. My Nexus 6 has been ordered.
    11-18-2014 11:33 AM
    Now reverse the silly test. Turn encryption ON for the Nexus 5 and turn encryption OFF for the Nexus 6. Compare speed again. My Nexus 6 has been ordered.
    Actually if I am not wrong encryption can't be disabled on Android 5.0 devices once it has been enabled.

Google is still selling the Nexus 5 on their stores because it is still a great device, but the units they are shipping with now will be running Android 5.0 and will also be encrypted(thus slower than the Nexus 6).

But those of us who updated from Android 4.4 don't have encryption enabled and we're the lucky ones.

But then again I could be wrong.
    11-18-2014 12:34 PM
    Actually if I am not wrong encryption can't be disabled on Android 5.0 devices once it has been enabled.

Google is still selling the Nexus 5 on their stores because it is still a great device, but the units they are shipping with now will be running Android 5.0 and will also be encrypted(thus slower than the Nexus 6).

But those of us who updated from Android 4.4 don't have encryption enabled and we're the lucky ones.

But then again I could be wrong.
    Yes, you are correct. As a matter of fact, if you do a factory reset with Lollipop, it will encrypt the device before your first boot up. I DON'T WANT ENCRYPTION! How to encrypt an Android 5.0 Lollipop device - CNET

If I need to reset my device and wipe it, I'll be sticking to flashing factory images or ROMS. They shouldn't be forcing encryption on people.
    11-18-2014 07:24 PM
    Yes, you are correct. As a matter of fact, if you do a factory reset with Lollipop, it will encrypt the device before your first boot up. I DON'T WANT ENCRYPTION! How to encrypt an Android 5.0 Lollipop device - CNET

If I need to reset my device and wipe it, I'll be sticking to flashing factory images or ROMS. They shouldn't be forcing encryption on people.
    as i posted earlier - i installed Lollipop on my Nexus 5 and afterwards did a hard reset back to factory fresh state because i like to start fresh after every Letter OS Update. Lollipop did NOT turn on Encryption after the hard reset. my Nexus 5 is not encrypted.
    11-19-2014 11:38 AM
    I have been using a one m8 and I dusted off my old nexus 5 when lollipop was released to see what it was all about. Have to admit I really like it and I'm finding I'm enjoying using the nexus 5 again. The camera is slow and the battery life is just as poor as I remember but it runs really smooth and fast and the in hand feel is great. I'm wondering whether to sell my one m8 and stick with this for now.

BTW I factory reset so I could start fresh and encryption did not turn on

11-19-2014 01:13 PM
    Get the Moto X.
    This.
    11-19-2014 03:11 PM