Lollipop OTA Update: Should I backup my data?

asdf45223

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to download/install the Android 5.0 Lollipop update on my Nexus 5, but I don't know if I should back up my data before doing it. It takes a while to do so, which is why I'm posting this question on the forums while I do it. Is it necessary? Will I lose my data?

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
If you're flashing the image then yes, if you do it with the OTA then no. Clean install is always the best though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop

jhousden9

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It's probably always best to do a backup when you are updating to any new major software release. I shouldn't imagine you'd lose any data though. Haven't heard of anyone else having issues.

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If you're flashing the image then yes, if you do it with the OTA then no. Clean install is always the best though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop
FYI, you can flash the images without wiping data. Either by editing the flash-all.bat to not wipe user data or by flashing the images manually and not wiping user data.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It is a big change. In my opinion, I would wipe everything and install. If OTA do a factory reset. So many bugs can be solved by a factory reset. But as stated, just my opinion.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest starting fresh also. Even after receiving the OTA, problems can pop-up that are fixed with a factory reset. It does take a little more time to backup/sync your accounts. But is well worth the time spent in my opinion.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I didn't so I'll just have to see if anything goes wrong. I have my phone almost filled with media (in fact I had to delete over a gig to make room for the update).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon