Cool feature I found...OK Google!

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
With the new Lollipop, I found a cool feature that I haven't seen mentioned yet. You can now say "Ok Google" with the screen off and in stand-by mode but ONLY if it is plugged in. If it is unplugged, then you have to atleast wake up the screen. You don't have to unlock it, but just wake it up. But if it plugged in, you don't even have to wake it up. Pretty sweet.

Once again, I don't think it has been mentioned yet but I thought I would bring it up.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
That is a cool feature. The Note 4 Also has that feature for S-voice. However, it Can be accessed when the phone is off and unplugged. The iPhone has a similar feature with Siri and can be accessed with the screen off, but only when its plugged into a charger.

Note in my house!

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
With Kit Kat, you had to atleast wake the device up (unlocked or not) to get "OK Google" to work. Now you don't even need to wake it up when it is plugged in. So that is new.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
There were settings in Kit Kat to allow the same thing. The settings for that in Lollipop are under the 3-bar menu in the OK Google bar | Settings | "OK Google" Detection. Looking at those settings on my wife's Kit Kat Nexus 5, they look identical.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I will only think it is cool when I can redefine what the key words are to something custom. Not only do I think it sounds stupid to say "OK Google", but people keep "OK Googlejacking" my Moto360 and other devices (thinking it is funny... and it is a bit.... sometimes). I could disable it on all my devices except the 360 :(

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I will only think it is cool when I can redefine what the key words are to something custom. Not only do I think it sounds stupid to say "OK Google", but people keep "OK Googlejacking" my Moto360 and other devices (thinking it is funny... and it is a bit.... sometimes). I could disable it on all my devices except the 360 :(

Yup, I wish we could make it custom too. My phone will sometimes randomly pull up Google search from me saying "Ok Something"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34