How do I upgrade to Lollipop on my Rooted Nexus 5? Upgrade downloaded, but didn't install

Not Lykeli

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi! For starters, I successfully rooted my Nexus 5 without entirely knowing what I was doing. But I am finally ready for the Lollipop update that came over the air several days ago. I finally downloaded it, but when it got ready to install it the phone went into what I believe was recovery mode and said "teamwin," before opening up to a menu. From there, I didn't exactly know what to do to get Lollipop to install itself. Any help out there? I feel like it should be easy to do this, but I'm utterly lost.

macroguy07

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
If you have a rooted Nexus 5, you will not be able to do an OTA Update, you will need to Flash the Lollipop Factory Image. Flashing your phone will break it being rooted, but can re-root again in the future.

You can use the Nexus Root Tool Kit to Flash your phone, you will need to download it to your computer and use a cable to your phone and run the program and tell it to Flash the Image, just choose Lollipop and not KitKat and Nexus Root Tool Kit will flash your phone to Lollipop.

You need to do a backup first, because flashing your phone will wipe out apps and data and you will need to reinstall them after flashing the phone.

Nexus Root Tool Kit ;
http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That's not entirely true. Rooting Kitkat in itself will not prevent OTA. If op made any system partition changes, it "may" prevent the OTA update from installing successfully.
@Not Lykeli - after rooting, have you made any changes to the system partition? (besides installing TWRP recovery, and the superSU, what else have you done (besides installing apps from the play store)? Have you deleted/edited any system files? Have you installed XPosed framework (or other root apps)?

If you have not made any system partition changes, you should be able to download the OTA file from google, and store it on your phone, and reboot into your TWRP recovery, and flash it from there.

Read more here

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I could not install the OTA either, so I just flashed the factory image. As long as you have your bootloader already unlocked, you can flash the factory image w/o wiping or losing your data or settings. Just b sure to *remove* the "-w" from flash-all.sh or flash-all.bat to *not* wipe.

FYI, on my rooted N5, seems my installing a font (using iFont) had prevented the OTA from installing.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited: