Can my phone be saved?

Sarcastiholic

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
My phone bricked itself - HELP!

To start off, my Nexus 5 is not rooted and I purchased it from T-Mobile back in February.

Last Thursday, I received the notification that the OTA download for Lollipop was available for my N5, so I downloaded. For the past week, I had no problems (more or less). Yesterday morning, the device randomly turned itself off while it wasn't even in my hands. I tried turning it back on, but all that would happen is the white Google logo would pop up, the phone would vibrate briefly, the colored dots would start swirling on the screen, and then the screen would go black suddenly. I tried turning it on in recovery mode, but the recovery mode screen would never stay on for longer than a second or so. It would immediately go to the white Google logo on black background, vibrate briefly, then turn off again. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Google's tech support and went through all of their trouble shooting steps. The rep with whom I was speaking eventually determined that I was eligible for a warranty exchange. But because I bought it through T-Mobile, I have to go through them for the exchange. But due to the way I purchased it (long story), I'm not eligible for a warranty exchange through T-Mobile, either. So basically I'm stuck with a brick of a phone because I downloaded Lollipop.

I'm really hoping there's someone out there who can help me get my phone working again. Any advice would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My phone bricked itself - HELP!

Welcome to Android Central! That's a tough situation. Are you doing this with the phone plugged in to a wall outlet? Just in case the battery suddenly discharged, try plugging into a wall outlet overnight, then powering on again in the morning (keeping it plugged in).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: My phone bricked itself - HELP!

And if that doesn't fix it, I'd suspect a bad OTA update (it's known that the method Android uses is FAR from the right ay to do it). If you're in the US, and the update bricked the phone, TMobile is responsible for fixing ot replacing the phone. (They broke it, they have to fix it, the same as if you slammed into the car in front of you and broke his tail light.)