Random power off...full boot with external power only.

rob7622

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I recently ran the factory 5.0 image on my Nexus 5 and have noticed a problem with my 5 shutting down randomly necessitating me to power it back on. The only problem though is that if I try to power it back on w/o external power it shuts back down right after the four colors merge. I never get the 'android'.

In order to reboot my phone I need to have it plugged into an external power source; wall wort or USB in my car.

My battery is never fully drained when this issue occurs...last night I was at 57% upon reboot.

The only thing I've noticed is that I'm doing something that uses LTE...surfing the web...Facebook.

Thoughts?

phattysalz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue shortly before the lollipop update and it continued after the update. The phone would shut down while I was using it and it would shut down as soon as it booted up. Would only boot up when charging.

What I noticed was upon booting up, the battery would be real low despite having 70+% before initially shutting down. I saw some other forums of batteries dying early and they would bulge. Looking at the profile of my phone I could see the back was actually bulging a bit above the battery.

I bought a replacement battery and replaced it. So far so good. Seems to have fixed it. I don't know why the battery died in one year.

Check to see if your battery is bulging or instantly dropping to dead upon power up. It is not very difficult to replace the battery. Ifixit gives a nice tutorial.

If it is not the battery, try a factory reset or flash the lollipop image files.

Good Luck!

Posted via the Android Central App

madhuram5

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I m having same issue but...when I went to service center they said to degrade .... But same problem persist

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I m having same issue but...when I went to service center they said to degrade .... But same problem persist

Have you asked about a warranty replacement or repair? It sounds like the battery is the problem here.

dudleynascar

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue right now. I've taken screenshots of the battery usage when i power it on with usb power and it shows an immediate drain in the battery. The shutdown happens randomly and isnt dependent on a specific app. When i turn it back on it starts the battery very low and charges it from there. Seems to be a hardware issue but still trying to pinpoint whats going on.