Can't delete a new contact on Nexus 5 with Lollipop

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I can't delete a new contact on the Nexus 5. Quick synopsis of what's going on: Go to > contacts > name of contact. Contact has Star, + contact Icon, and 3 vertical dots on the far right with "Share & Place on Home Screen" I'm not understanding why an already created contact with name has a "+ contact" icon. All other contacts have a "pencil" contact that I can tap and then hit delete on. It's driving me nuts, how do I delete this contact? I just recently added it by hitting the save contact when I received a tex. Much appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you in the Contacts section of the Phone Dialer, or the separate People app? Can you find that contact in the People app?

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
The contact is in the "Contacts" app under 5.0.1. It is also in the phone. So I hit phone icon > contacts within phone top right > name of contact

Really puzzled by this. Is this some sort of weird sim save that I did or something? No idea how that would of happened...I just added the contact in the last 24hrs and did it normally.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens when you tap the +Contact button?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
unnamed-1.png

Only thing I can do under contacts is this: Star for favorites, hit the + icon, but nothing happens since contact is already saved, or hit the 3 dots as shown in pic. No function to delete anywhere!!

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed this is the case on 3 of my most recent contacts. Just checked the SIM card, it has no contacts saved. I'm totally and utterly stumped with this issue. I'm taking it to a T-Mobile store tomorrow to see if the've ever seen or heard of such an issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's great!

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Jay Contacts

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm not going to take credit for this because I got it from someone else.

After two days of wanting to create a papier mache effigy of google so i could burn it and drive over numerous times i found a post that got me going in the right direction.

Like you my contacts list was populated by garbage and even with all sync options off I would delete it, it would say it is deleted, but it would still be there ....

First off, to go the options in your contacts and make sure there's no contact sync of any sort. Then go to settings, accounts, and do the same thing there, making sure there's no syncing of any sorts

Here's the magic part. Go to settings again, Apps, then to "all" apps, then look for "contacts" ... from there just clear date and cach ... BAM!! You now have ZERO contacts....

Its a start. Doesn't fix what google did with lillipop, which i think is simply them punishing us old school folks who kept their phone contacts in their phones and not on their email addresses contact book

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue the other day. My daughter was listed twice, once with just an email address and another with the full info. Tried to delete and it said it deleted but still sat there. Found that it would not completely delete until my contacts were sync'd again when I had a data connection. (Was in the subway.)

Eric Kaiser57

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It didn't fix everything on my wife's phone, but it got rid of a lot of the crap that had accumulated over the years

Posted via the Android Central App

John B6

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I was able to rectify the problem, after pulling the last few hairs out of my head. I'm going bald anyway. So here is the solution:
Tap the colored dot of the duplicate or triplicate name. If it is empty and say add number then hit the Edit pencil icon, once that pops up, hit the 3 dots on the right, you will see delete. Press that, it will say "You can't delete read only numbers from other apps but you can remove them from your contact list", click ok remove. It works I had to go through the entire F%&$%&*ing alphabet but I have no more duplicates in my phone contacts now.

Just make sure you are not deleting the real contact that you want to keep. You will know that because that has Phone numbers, email addee's, and addresses on it, leave that one alone. Just hide the ones with no info on them but the persons name.

What I guess happened it that Google took, your contacts from your computer, contacts from Google plus, and any other contact that had the same name and just added them to your phone contact list. I had one with 5 names in different colors, so if I were to go into my contacts on my phone and hit one that was blank I would have to go down the list till I got the correct one with the contact info on it. A previous poster is right Google decided it don't want you to save your contacts on your phone. They want them all in one place in Google mail, well what am I supposed to make a phone call from gmail? What if I don't use hangouts or what ever other way it wants to connect you? I have a phone for 1 main reason to contact people!!!!

Try my solution it works... Thanks for reading my rant, now I'll have a Scotch..lol!:)

Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Linux Desktop

Last edited:

Iretia Cox

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Can't delete a new contact on with new Lollipop App on Moto G

I cannot delete contacts using the new app which downloaded about 5 days ago. Also I have 2 Photo icons and only want 1. Help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12