WiFi battery drain after Android 5.0.1

Golden_Caviar

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Strange that there aren't much complaints about that, but after I got the even buggier 5.0.1 update, the WiFi's battery drain is unstoppable. My usage and settings are exactly how I left them before the update several days ago. WiFi uses about 60% while the phone sleeping. No abnormal wakelocks details detected

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419703087132.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419703087132.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 31

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's probably doing "operating system stuff", the communicating it needs to set itself up.

First thing you do when you get an update is clear the system cache. Then you keep your eye on the battery for a week, so it doesn't drain too far when you're not looking. If it doesn't settle down in about a week, go to your carrier's store and see what they can do for you. (One little glitch in an OTA update can cause a problem like that, and they can reflash the update.)

BTW, Wifi Active doesn't mean "Wifi in use", it means it's awake. (It indicates that you have wifi set to never turn off during sleep - which is the right way. It's on a lot [constantly], but it's not consuming a lot of power just being on.) The fact that it's consuming as much as 41 minutes of screen on-time means that a lot was being transferred, which is normal for a new ROM or update for about a week.

48% use in 17-1/2 hours means about 35 hours of use until the battery is dead (which you should never allow - 40% is about "last warning" to charge the phone), which isn't terrible.

Golden_Caviar

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
This is not a carrier update and they can't do anything about it. I got this faulty update for several weeks and it hadn't settled down. 48% is a terribly big one since I barely touched the phone. With heavy usage without location I used to get about 3 hrs SOT under KitKat. Now I get a pathetic 1.5 hour.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Some users say Gsam app causes battery drain.
Others report that MANY battery saving apps do the opposite.
I use Battery by Macropinch for usage display features ... not battery saving features.
I am getting much better battery life with LP & 5.0.1
Also there is no guarantee that apps which run OK under KK will run OK under LP.

Suspect a faulty app.
Note your App Usage reported at 39%.
That looks very high!

I have N5 with 32GB and 287 apps downloaded from PlayStore.

Last edited:

Golden_Caviar

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Some users say Gsam app causes battery drain.
Others report that MANY battery saving apps do the opposite.
I use Battery by Macropinch for usage display features ... not battery saving features.
I am getting much better battery life with LP & 5.0.1
Also there is no guarantee that apps which run OK under KK will run OK under LP.

Suspect a faulty app.
Note your App Usage reported at 39%.
That looks very high!

I have N5 with 32GB and 287 apps downloaded from PlayStore.
This is a norm for my typical usage and it was like that in KK and during LP 5.0. GSAM is not perfect, of course and the apps there use an OK percentage. I will remove it and see how it goes. Moreover, I am not with a rooted version and stats are limited, but I don't think its an app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair