Why aren't micro-usb cables fitting my Nexus 5?

1adam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Micro-usb cables no longer fitting Nexus 5

None of my USB cables will stay in my Nexus 5 without being held very tight by hand, if let go it will pop back out. So I've had to resort to wireless charging only, but this is a real pain when it comes to external charging blocks or data transfer.
Has anyone else had this and somehow been able to root cause it? The port doesn't look damaged or weakened/widened in any way.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Micro-usb cables no longer fitting Nexus 5

None of my USB cables will stay in my Nexus 5 without being held very tight by hand, if let go it will pop back out. So I've had to resort to wireless charging only, but this is a real pain when it comes to external charging blocks or data transfer.
Has anyone else had this and somehow been able to root cause it? The port doesn't look damaged or weakened/widened in any way.

If none of your cables fit, then it is obviously a problem with the port. If you are good with taking things apart, then you can replace the usb port yourself.

LeSaint

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem with my Nexus 4. At first the connector did want to stay connected, but soon enough, I wasn't even able to charge my phone without holding it. After a close inspection of the connector, I found out it was only pocket lint tightly packed at the bottom that prevented the connector to fit correctly. I cleaned it with a needle.

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

This probably isn't the problem since you've tried multiple usb cables but I've had micro-usb cable connections that weren't 100% compatible. The plastic covering over the male cable end was too bulky -- not enough clearance -- I fixed it with a Dremel Moto-tool.

You probably need to replace the female connector inside the N5. I've never had one apart but it doesn't sound too hard -- you can find instructions here at iFixIt.com.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome