Proximity Sensor issue?? Maybe...?

xbangerang

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

So i dropped my phone today, literally no exterior damage whatsoever, the software (from what i can tell) is fine as well. The problem is that everytime i turn on the screen and then unlock it the screen goes black and it's locked up again. Has anyone else had any kind of issue like this and no a possible fix without warranting it out? I've tried reflashing the sofrware and wiping it clean, the problem persists.

Thanks in advance!

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a drop is considered physical abuse and therefore outside of warranty (unless you bought separate insurance).
I have a few ideas but in order for me or others to help we need more information.

Is the phone rooted? Stock OS or custom ROM? Does the screen lock as soon as you touch it? What happens if you tap the power button (to turn the screen on) but don't touch it? Any information you can give about what exactly is happening when you try to unlock it would be great. I don't think it's the proximity sensor - my guess is the digitizer (the part that senses your touch input) is damaged. Hopefully we can get some more specific info from you and hopefully someone will help you out soon!

xbangerang

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for responding, It pretty much does what i described, the digitizer and the screen work fine, I've used the screen in recovery mode with no issues which is why i think it's the proximity or even ambient light sensor. It only goes to black when I try to unlock it. display works fine when it's on the lock screen, I can also pull down the quick settings and mess with toggles it's just when the phone is actually unlocked that it goes black. I also get notifications fine but when I receive a phone call it goes black until the call is over then it shows a missed call notification. It is rooted, running NX5 and also bootloader is unlocked. I have a phone coming to me from tmobile but it won't get here till monday, I intend to relock the bootlaoder and flash to stock before sending this one back.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the fall jarred a solder connection somewhere which could explain the screen issues. If I were you I'd go ahead and flash stock and lock the bootloader. It just might resolve the issue. It may not but if you're doing it anyway it's worth a shot