Riddle me this:

After having my Nexus 5 for a couple months, I started periodically losing a signal. After making a call, the bars would drop and I'd restart the phone to restore reception. After a few days of that, the signal was lost and it never came back. I restored the phone, I flashed new radios, I did a fresh install of factory images from Google... nothing worked. My SIM card is good, I put it in my old iPhone, and it works fine.

So, I figured it's a physical problem. The antenna must be busted. So, I contacted LG for a replacement. They sent me a factory refurb. I popped in the SIM card, and voila.... no signal! I even had a spare T-Mobile SIM laying around (also good - works in my iPhone) and that one ALSO gets no signal.

So I'm really confused... how does this make any sense? Tl;dr: When I first got the N5 it worked great. It stopped getting a signal after a while, and I GOT A NEW ONE but it still doesn't work? Is this a coincidence (i.e. two phones both with bad antennae?) or is there another possible explanation and/or fix?
    01-07-2015 05:59 PM
    Could the problem be on t mobiles end?
    01-07-2015 06:41 PM
    Could the problem be on t mobiles end?
    I'm thinking this too. Did you contact T-Mobile?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-07-2015 06:57 PM
    T-Mobile's troubleshooting didn't help. They recommend factory reset, etc. But think about it... the signal itself is fine since it works with the iPhone. When comparing APN settings between iPhone and N5 they're identical. Also, remember that it worked before, intermittently didn't work, and finally failed completely.

So unless T-Mobile changed the way they broadcast their signal between the time I got the N5 and now, I don't know how it could be a T-Mobile problem...
    01-07-2015 07:08 PM
    T-Mobile's troubleshooting didn't help. They recommend factory reset, etc. But think about it... the signal itself is fine since it works with the iPhone. When comparing APN settings between iPhone and N5 they're identical. Also, remember that it worked before, intermittently didn't work, and finally failed completely.

So unless T-Mobile changed the way they broadcast their signal between the time I got the N5 and now, I don't know how it could be a T-Mobile problem...
    I see what you are saying. Maybe try a 3rd?
    01-08-2015 06:09 AM
    Very odd, have you tried a SIM Chip from say at&t/Cricket/Simple Mobile/etc.?

That would defiantly rule out a specific network issue and pinpoint the handset as the causation of the issue.

Dan
    01-08-2015 12:54 PM
    That's next on my list of things to try. Will pick up an unactivated one tonight and see if it gets any signal.
    01-08-2015 02:58 PM
    That's next on my list of things to try. Will pick up an unactivated one tonight and see if it gets any signal.
    I might add that SOMETIMES inactivated SIMs will not grab a signal.

One other point, while T-Mobile reps are generally nice and want to be helpful, I find their assistance can be limited especially with odder issues like you are experiencing.

Dan

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-09-2015 09:45 AM