Charged for Cellular data while internet was accessed using WiFi

Sarbjit

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I am from India and using Nexus5 (Android 5.1). Actually, my network provider has charged me for cellular data usage which I never did. In-fact, I haven't subscribed to any data pack and was charged heavily. I always use internet through WiFi.

My data usage widget is displaying 0B data usage, but my network operator is insisting that the data has been used by the device.

I want to understand if this issue is really due to my device.I see different cellular network icons on my device :-

- Exclamation mark in cellular network when WiFi is disabled (I never enable cellular data)

- R sign in cellular network (cellular data is disabled and i am not in roaming)

- No R or exclamation sign (both WiFi and cellular usage is disabled)

I am not able to understand,Is my cellular data usage is really due to my device settings or is due to some issue by service provider.

Is it that the device is indeed using cellular data despite of the fact that cellular data option is disabled and it never shows this usage in data usage widget.

I observed that when I use Wi-Fi, then exclamation sign from cellular network is removed, does that mean that the cellular data is also used and that's why my service provider has charged me?

Please share your expert opinions.

Last edited:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The exclamation mark simply indicates that you have no data connectivity to Google Servers.
So, it is possible that you are connected to WiFi, but have no WAN access, and in that case, you'll see the WiFi connected symbol, but also see the exclamation mark.
[Lollipop Feature Spotlight] Android Now Defaults To Mobile Data When Wi-Fi Has No Internet Access, Signal Icon Adds A '!' For No Connection

Back to your core question though - if you are positive that you've never enabled Mobile data, then, your service provider has problems and they need to fix that. Ask them to disable your data connectivity if possible. If your cellular data is used, it will show the LTE or 3g or H+ or H or E symbol next to the network signal bars.

I must admit - I've don't think I've seen the network bars without an exclamation mark when WiFi and mobile data are both disabled. How are you disabling mobile data?

P.S. I assume you meant that you are on 5.0.1 (not 5.1)

Sarbjit

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
The exclamation mark simply indicates that you have no data connectivity to Google Servers.
So, it is possible that you are connected to WiFi, but have no WAN access, and in that case, you'll see the WiFi connected symbol, but also see the exclamation mark.
access-signal-icon-adds-a-for-no-connection/][Lollipop Feature Spotlight] Android Now Defaults To Mobile Data When Wi-Fi Has No Internet Access, Signal Icon Adds A '!' For No Connection[/url]

>> I am assuming here that if WiFi is not available, then the android will default to Mobile Data provided cellular data is enabled. If it is not enabled, then it won't be used?

Back to your core question though - if you are positive that you've never enabled Mobile data, then, your service provider has problems and they need to fix that. Ask them to disable your data connectivity if possible. If your cellular data is used, it will show the LTE or 3g or H+ or H or E symbol next to the network signal bars.

>> I am 100% sure that I have never enabled data usage, that's why cellular data usage was 0B for the current cycle in the data usage widget. I have mailed the snapshots of data usage widgets to service provider and have called them so many times, but they are not willing to listen. As per their systems, it is used by applications like Facebook, WhatsApp etc...

I must admit - I've don't think I've seen the network bars without an exclamation mark when WiFi and mobile data are both disabled. How are you disabling mobile data?

>> I am using Settings\Data Usage\ Cellular Data toggle button to disable it.

P.S. I assume you meant that you are on 5.0.1 (not 5.1)
>> I am sorry, I am indeed on 5.0.1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol