Why am I getting an error when I try to send text messages?

seanof30306

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Newb Needs Help - Puts A +1 In Front Of Text Messages

Hi, I'm like a newb's, newb. I'm new to this forum, I'm new to smart phones, My Nexus 5 is my first one, and I just tried to send my first text message, ever.

Fail.

I get an error saying I need a valid 10 digit mobile number. Looking at the failed text, I see it has a +1 in front of the number. I'm guessing that is the problem, but I haven't been able to find anything on how to correct it.

I'm on Straight Talk

Thanks

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Newb Needs Help - Puts A +1 In Front Of Text Messages

I get an error saying I need a valid 10 digit mobile number. Looking at the failed text, I see it has a +1 in front of the number. I'm guessing that is the problem, but I haven't been able to find anything on how to correct it.

Assuming you didn't just type in the number and it came from your Contacts, go to your Contacts list and check the phone number in it. If it's showing a +1, then edit the contact, find the Phone Number field, and remove the +1. The number should be in the format xxx-xxx-xxxx (area code and number, no "long-distance" or country-code prefix).

EDIT: I'm assuming you're US based, haven't visited foreign climes with your phone recently, and have just transferred your phone numbers into your Contacts list by including your old long-distance prefix (even though a "+1" is the US country code and not a long-distance prefix).

Last edited:

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

I Googled 'Android Contacts Country Code' and saw that there are quite a few people fighting with those country codes. But, it looks like they're usually in a non-US country or have recently visited one. So, I'll have to admit failure. About the only other thing I can think of is to double-check your Google (and Google+) account information and check that your address and phone number a correct in there (i.e., not non-US).

BTW: I'm assuming you're using Hangouts for text messages.

seanof30306

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

David,

Thanks for your help.

I texted several other people, and it worked. Tried the original textee again, no good.

I deleted the contact, re-entered it, and it works fine now. I don't know what's different, but it's working!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol