05-14-2015 03:31 PM
240 1234 ...
tools
    I dont have access to my pc currently, and usually I flash the OTA's via ADB but if I am not mistaken cant you just put the ZIP file renamed as something in particular at the root of your sdcard partition and also have it side load that way?
    The Nexus 5 doesn't have an sd card, and I believe the emulated partition doesn't work with updates that way (which is a shame, because that would make things EASY). I think you have to use a computer (typically with ADB).
    03-12-2015 04:36 PM
    Just got the OTA!

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-12-2015 06:34 PM
    Got the Lollipop 5.1 OTA update at 18:45 hours - NYC.
    03-12-2015 07:01 PM
    Still waiting

I always seem to get them late. The 5.0 OTA took about 8 days before it had reached me.
    03-12-2015 07:25 PM
    Just got the OTA!

Got the Lollipop 5.1 OTA update at 18:45 hours - NYC.
    thanks for the heads up.
    03-12-2015 07:26 PM
    After hearing all the good things about the 5.1 update I was prepared to do a factory reset and flash the factory image just to get it early (I almost always just wait for OTAs and my bootloader isn't even unlocked right now). I even bookmarked the helpful guide that Android Central provides and went over what I'd need to back up (very little).

But then just 5 min ago guess what notification I got! Installing now :-)

EDIT: anyone else who got the OTA getting the "Waiting to download" screen for a long time?
    03-12-2015 09:35 PM
    Yes it took forever to start! Lol

03-12-2015 09:52 PM
    Just got the ota(I'm in Phoenix) ..

Yes was on waiting to download for ever

Phone is super fast...

Very responsive

Lag is gone.

I read kernel changes were made regarding processes.. They likened it to a two lane road Turning I to a highway..

Also said battery life should be better... A qualcom driver was terminated

03-12-2015 09:59 PM
    Got the OTA notification this afternoon while I was away from home. It said waiting to download for a minute or so. Got home and my 2012 nexus 7 had the OTA waiting and the 'waiting to download' took a very long time - the N7 is doing so much better since the update.

Haven't had a chance to really test 5.1 out on the nexus 5. I noticed the memory link usually driving home from work where it's been run down in battery and I'm trying to run navigation and play pandora over bluetooth and making phone calls - it would dump processes like navigation as soon as I turned on Pandora and then dump pandora as soon as I start navigation again. If I got a phone call I could say goodbye to both Pandora and navigation almost as soon as the call came in and sometimes it would dump the phone process in the middle of a call. If 5.1 has fixed this I would be eternally grateful
    03-12-2015 11:46 PM
    After hearing all the good things about the 5.1 update I was prepared to do a factory reset and flash the factory image just to get it early (I almost always just wait for OTAs and my bootloader isn't even unlocked right now).
    Just to clear any confusion, people should be aware that you can choose to "sideload" the OTA file yourself to get it "early". Unlike installing an image, you don't need an unlocked phone/bootloader, and you don't lose any data or apps etc. Sideloading is the same as initiating the same normal OTA update you get if you otherwise wait for the notification. Just Google for a guide. You just need a PC, it doesn't take very long, and is not particularly hard to do. The OTA file link usually appears within a day or so after Google post the factory image so from then you can update your phone yourself. The Nexus 5 Android 5.1 OTA link was published about 24 hours ago.
    03-13-2015 03:57 AM
    Yes it took forever to start! Lol

Me too I checked for updates before going to bed and I was surprised that my Nexus 5 is showed the 5.1 update. I notice that everything is faster also my cell signal is much stronger than before. I will have to see how battery life is.

I also checked my Nexus 7 but nothing yet. It is always the last to get updates.
    03-13-2015 04:06 AM
    There appears to be an improvement of the cell signal strength on my N5 also - a least there are more bars displayed than before in certain areas of my house.
    03-13-2015 05:09 AM
    I received the OTA here in Chicago early this morning.

03-13-2015 06:45 AM
    Hey all. I loaded 5.1 from the images on googles site. All works great except when I boot the phone and am in airplane mode, I get a no Sim card error. As soon as I turn off airplane mode, it goes away. Anyone know how to clear this? Note I did not factory reset when I loaded. I did not want to loose all of my data. Thanks.
    03-13-2015 08:43 AM
    Got the 5.1 OTA this morning. Haven't used it a lot yet but so far all is good. Before, WiFi was a little iffy on 5GHz, it seems better. And maybe cell signal is a little stronger.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    03-13-2015 09:18 AM
    I sideloaded the OTA yesterday morning. After about 24 hours everything seems a lot more snappy and no more home screen redraws or killing my recent apps. Battery life does not seem better however. The WiFi and Bluetooth quick settings are very useful. Overall a good update.

03-13-2015 11:42 AM
    Got the 5.1 OTA this morning on my Nexus 5. No issues. Nothing yet on my 2013 Nexus 7.
    03-13-2015 12:21 PM
    There is an issue with Textra SMS and 5.1. When you open Textra and select a person in the contacts list, the bubble on the left side of the contact no longer changes color indicating it has been selected. The color does change a bit, but hardly noticeable. It used to change to orange, but now just to a different shade of white. Textra did post an update (v.2.27) that addressed some 5.1 issues, but not this one. I've sent Textra support a message via the app. anyone experience this issue?
    03-13-2015 03:39 PM
    Got the OTA today in Orlando

Haven't installed it yet, no time tonight and I need to brush up on what I need to do after to get root access again.
    03-13-2015 05:08 PM
    I wiped and installed a clean 5.1 on my Nexus 5...damn what a lovely OS experience. So slick and smooth... decent battery life and everything runs like "butter".
    03-13-2015 05:15 PM
    But then just 5 min ago guess what notification I got! Installing now :-)
    I got mine this morning. One thing- my battery life seemed to get REALLY better.... but it isn't a good test because I put it on the charger while it was updating. I will know for sure on Monday when I am back to a normal routine (and it has run without reboot for 3+ days). Will report back.

EDIT: anyone else who got the OTA getting the "Waiting to download" screen for a long time?
    That is exactly what happened to me (like 10+ minutes), but I think the network I was on was blocking ftp? A long time later it failed and I moved to another network, and then it downloaded it without me even asking that time.
    03-13-2015 05:31 PM
    I side-loaded the OTA update, from 5.0.1 to 5.1. I had a real ***** of a time doing it. It seems that all the guides are written for people who already have some level of experience with android development.

I read through four guides, none of them are comprehensive enough to allow a brand-new user to do the update. A few of them leave out massive amounts of necessary information. I spent a few hours tinkering, installing usb and ADB drivers, java, Android studio, SDK......... finally got it to work.

Anyways, the issues I had with 5.0.1 were intermittent wifi disconnects, and with system memory gradually increasing over the course of a day. Had to reboot every few days. So far, those issues seem to have been resolved. So far, I'm happy.
    03-13-2015 05:51 PM
    Still nothing. If this was based on location, then I would probably be among the first since I live in CA. Matias, my lord, answer my prayers.

I might end up side loading it but I'm afraid of screwing up
    03-13-2015 05:55 PM
    Nothing here either! Waiting patiently

Posted via Android Central App
    03-13-2015 09:19 PM
    I got mine last night... Took awhile to do as, like others have experienced, it was slow to start the process. So far, so good thus far.
    03-13-2015 10:38 PM
240 1234 ...