05-14-2015 03:31 PM
240 12345 ...
tools
    Still nothing. If this was based on location, then I would probably be among the first since I live in CA. Matias, my lord, answer my prayers.
    Has nothing to do with location, and not sure why if it did you think that CA would be first...

It can take several days, often longer, for everyone to get it. My Nexus 10 at work got it the first day, but my Nexus 10 at home still has no sign, and the Nexus 5 was today. Random.
    03-13-2015 11:04 PM
    Has nothing to do with location, and not sure why if it did you think that CA would be first...

It can take several days, often longer, for everyone to get it. My Nexus 10 at work got it the first day, but my Nexus 10 at home still has no sign, and the Nexus 5 was today. Random.
    Cause Google's HQ is in CA (Mountain View).
    03-14-2015 12:16 AM
    "Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.

IOW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that's it until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!

That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice -- but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.

So, mash away. Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn't going to gain you anything.

Edit: also, keep in mind that this isn't first-come/first-served. You're not racing other devices to get your slot in the current batch, or something."

Google Engineer Dan Morrill Sheds Some Light On The Nexus OTA Process, Urges You To Never Clear Google Service Framework Data
    crxssi likes this.
    03-14-2015 06:28 AM
    Is side loading safe? Do you keep all your data and info?? Does it mess up future updates OTA? What are the con's?!

Posted via Android Central App
    03-14-2015 07:26 AM
    Is side loading safe? Do you keep all your data and info?? Does it mess up future updates OTA? What are the con's?!
    Loading the *OTA* update is safe for your data, yes and it is the same doing it from adb/computer as doing it really over the air. It doesn't mess with future updates. The only two cons is that it requires a little work/time, and there is a little more possibility of something going wrong (although it is a pretty small risk).
    03-14-2015 01:11 PM
    I can't get the OTA to sideload. Doesn't like something in my youtube.apk for some reason. I'll see if I can't get it to work by redownloading the update, but I might just end up doing a full wipe and flash.
    03-15-2015 02:42 AM
    I would hold off on 5.1. My Nexus 5 received the update early last week. As of Friday, a number of apps started crashing on launch, including Facebook. Uninstall/reinstall of an app doesn't resolve the problem. Could be an issue with Play Services, since the phone periodically asks to upgrade it, but there is no upgrade available.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-15-2015 11:00 AM
    no OTA yet here. Google needs to put a "secret" button hidden in Developer Options that basically says "Force OTA OS Update Now".
    rrballer11 likes this.
    03-15-2015 12:31 PM
    From my last five days of usage:
    • Battery Life is still bad - dies rapidly
    • Could not handle all of my contacts
    • Lost all of the images on my contacts
    • Does not gather notifications for common apps in one notification (Facebook is driving me crazy)

But aside for that - no problem.
    03-15-2015 04:16 PM
    From my last five days of usage:
    • Battery Life is still bad - dies rapidly
    • Could not handle all of my contacts
    • Lost all of the images on my contacts
    • Does not gather notifications for common apps in one notification (Facebook is driving me crazy)

But aside for that - no problem.
    blame the Facebook App. not Lollipop.

These apps are draining most of your data and battery life - AndroidPIT
    03-15-2015 05:58 PM
    AFTER the upgrade, andriod file transfer is not seeing the phone, and in tethering says "USB not connected" (usb is connected, different ports, diff. cables, restarted every which way). Am I alone on this?
    03-15-2015 06:06 PM
    Battery is so so.... Google Play Services is still taking way to much battery usage. It shows my GPS has been on for 45 mins, but I opened the maps app once for a min to lookup a restaurant. Previous version I turned off high accuracy and my battery life increased dramatically. I may have to do it again. :\
    03-15-2015 08:42 PM
    I was able to transfer music and text files from my Macbook Pro to my Nexus 5 using AFT, after sideloading the OTA file. So, I am not sure why yours would not work. How did you upgrade your phone?
    03-15-2015 08:55 PM
    AFTER the upgrade, andriod file transfer is not seeing the phone, and in tethering says "USB not connected" (usb is connected, different ports, diff. cables, restarted every which way). Am I alone on this?
    I was able to transfer music and text files from my Macbook Pro to my Nexus 5 using AFT, after sideloading the OTA file. So, I am not sure why yours would not work. How did you upgrade your phone?
    03-15-2015 08:57 PM
    I did a clean (wiped all my data, apps and photos) install of 5.1 directly from Google's website. I've decided not to add any apps until I need them.

The phone is fast. Must faster than before. It charges quite quickly for some reason. I'll see how the battery goes over the next few days.
    03-16-2015 08:50 AM
    I did a clean (wiped all my data, apps and photos) install of 5.1 directly from Google's website. I've decided not to add any apps until I need them.

The phone is fast. Must faster than before. It charges quite quickly for some reason. I'll see how the battery goes over the next few days.
    03-16-2015 09:19 AM
    Cause Google's HQ is in CA (Mountain View).
    Then Google probably wants revenge.
    03-16-2015 10:35 AM
    this is a good strategy. see -

The Case For Deleting All Your Apps
    I beg you. It will change your life.
    posted on Oct. 15, 2013, at 6:10 p.m.
    Charlie Warzel
    BuzzFeed News Reporter

http://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarze...pps#.upOBP8Gyy
    03-16-2015 10:49 AM
    Today I've noticed that face unlock was not working anymore. When I try to use it it'll give me 2 or 3 "face unlock is not responding" in a row then not bother trying again until the next time I restart the phone. Going into settings to try setting face unlock again gets force closes of face unlock as well.

03-16-2015 03:19 PM
    I got mine this morning. One thing- my battery life seemed to get REALLY better.... but it isn't a good test because I put it on the charger while it was updating. I will know for sure on Monday when I am back to a normal routine (and it has run without reboot for 3+ days). Will report back.
    O M G. It is not a fluke. I have the best battery life now. I USED to have great battery life until I think three updates ago and it went down the toilet and stayed that way. It would burn up 20 to 25% of my battery being completely idle and unused for 9 hours at work, with WiFi on and on a WiFi network, even. Every single day. Regardless of any settings. Oh, and as of Lollipop, I can't even tell what was using the power, because the only things listed were all "1%" and added up to maybe 6%, which obviously doesn't equal the missing 25% of my battery. (I *hate* what they did to the battery stats in 5.X).

After THIS update (5.1) on Friday, I immediately noticed a difference, but it wasn't a controlled test over a weekend. But I had that test today: I got home from work and the battery was at 96%!!!! And I even used the phone several times (three short calls, and two web searches). It is back to the way it used to be. And I did *NOTHING* to change anything. I didn't reset it, didn't clear cache partition, didn't change any settings, I didn't change any installed apps, nothing.

I hope this lasts, because this is a far more reasonable standby time.

Wow
    BMukherjee91 likes this.
    03-16-2015 06:25 PM
    Has the OTA started? Haven't seen any posts

03-16-2015 06:27 PM
    Has the OTA started? Haven't seen any posts
    ??? I posted last week that I got the OTA last week. Yep, it started. One of the few times I got the update early. Still nothing on my Nexus 10, though..... although the one at work got updated last week.
    03-16-2015 06:29 PM
    Still waiting for it

Update...as soon as I typed above I got the update prompt...lol freaky

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-16-2015 08:34 PM
    I still didn't get it yet! 😨

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    03-16-2015 08:43 PM
    Still waiting for it

Update...as soon as I typed above I got the update prompt...lol freaky
    Still waiting for it

Update...........Still nothing. lol