The Nexus 5 Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

fountaincap

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Quick question. I'm new to Android so I haven't dealt with an update like this before. The factory images were released last night. If I'm not comfortable updating the OS myself, how soon can I expect the 5.1 update to show up in my system updates screen? I hear some people speaking of "months" but that's for non-Nexus phones, right? (I have a Nexus 5)

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Quick question. I'm new to Android so I haven't dealt with an update like this before. The factory images were released last night. If I'm not comfortable updating the OS myself, how soon can I expect the 5.1 update to show up in my system updates screen? I hear some people speaking of "months" but that's for non-Nexus phones, right? (I have a Nexus 5)

It really varies. It depends on how quickly they roll out all the batches of updates, and where your device falls in the grand scheme of things. It could be today or it could be a couple of weeks from now.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Guess I'll just have to be patient.

I, like you, are a little wary of tinkering around with the dark recesses of expensive technology. However, I got impatient (after just a few days) waiting for the Lollipop update and decided to manually update. The instructions were very clear and straightforward, and I didn't have a single problem. Something to consider if you can't wait.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I should add that I only mess with flashing the OTA updates, not the data-wiping updates. It is easier to install and it doesn't wipe all of your data.

bleached

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
It is rock solid on my Nexus 5. I haven't seen a single flaw in the 24 hours since I flashed it. Everything is fast and the little touches are really nice. Especially the WiFi/Bluetooth settings and the volume toggle. Smooth as Kit Kat. Hopefully it stays like this!

Posted via the Android Central App

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Same here, it fixed the slowness/bugginess memory leak issues. So far (2nd day) I have used it, it is very smooth.

Any improvements on the WiFi front? That and the memory leak issues are my big problems right now.

Posted via the Kick-*** Android Central App

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Any improvements on the WiFi front? That and the memory leak issues are my big problems right now.

Posted via the Kick-*** Android Central App

Sorry to hijack, but what is the wifi issue? Mine has a tendency to drop wifi connection for a split second on my home router several times an hour, which isn't a big deal unless I am connected to my chromecast.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
It improved on my end., on 5.0.1, I would connect to my wifi network, it would drop and then reconnect. Now on 5.1, the connection is smooth without the initial drop/reconnect. Also, the hand-off between cellular and wifi are very smooth to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech