The Nexus 5 Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

gmurphy0487

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The biggest thing I'm curious about, as I'm sure many others are is battery life. I know it's pretty early, but how does it look so far?

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Since I'm not exactly the patient type I went ahead and side-loaded the 5.1 OTA last night. It's a really easy process and there's tons of info out there to walk you through it (I had done the same with 5.0 so I was familiar with some of the tools and such).

Initial impressions are fairly positive. The phone definitely feels a lot snappier and not in a "I just rebooted" kind of way (did that earlier in the day). I had a lot of issues with memory management so I'll be watching closely, but so far, so good. The quick settings improvements are nice, not super useful for me, but I'm a fan. I didn't notice that you could hit volume down to silence the ringers, but no big deal for me since I just use the "None" mode to silence everything. I'll be watching the radios closely (my building at work is so-so with service) but initially things look good.

Battery life is certainly too early to tell. I always found that it was way above average for a day or two after rebooting and progressively got worse until the memory management issues (hitting home would take multiple seconds) forced me to reboot again. I found myself rebooting every 4 days which for me seemed crazy. I had the HTC Evo that made it some ridiculous number of days (130-150ish) before I rebooted to install an update. My S2 and S3 (and even N5 on Kit Kat) seemed to routinely make it a month before a battery induced reboot.

digink

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I dont have access to my pc currently, and usually I flash the OTA's via ADB but if I am not mistaken cant you just put the ZIP file renamed as something in particular at the root of your sdcard partition and also have it side load that way?

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I side loaded it last night and so far so good. The WiFi Auth bug is still present. Dolphin Browser w/ JetPack enabled will not render pages, but is fixed by turning off JetPack. K9 email has some issue with multiple selecting emails causing it to crash.

Besides these minor annoyances it seems to be pretty good. I don't have a lot of run time so I can't comment on battery life.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I dont have access to my pc currently, and usually I flash the OTA's via ADB but if I am not mistaken cant you just put the ZIP file renamed as something in particular at the root of your sdcard partition and also have it side load that way?

The Nexus 5 doesn't have an sd card, and I believe the emulated partition doesn't work with updates that way (which is a shame, because that would make things EASY). I think you have to use a computer (typically with ADB).

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
After hearing all the good things about the 5.1 update I was prepared to do a factory reset and flash the factory image just to get it early (I almost always just wait for OTAs and my bootloader isn't even unlocked right now). I even bookmarked the helpful guide that Android Central provides and went over what I'd need to back up (very little).

But then just 5 min ago guess what notification I got! Installing now :)

EDIT: anyone else who got the OTA getting the "Waiting to download" screen for a long time?

Camaihofer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got the ota(I'm in Phoenix) ..

Yes was on waiting to download for ever

Phone is super fast...

Very responsive

Lag is gone.

I read kernel changes were made regarding processes.. They likened it to a two lane road Turning I to a highway..

Also said battery life should be better... A qualcom driver was terminated

Posted via the Android Central App

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Got the OTA notification this afternoon while I was away from home. It said waiting to download for a minute or so. Got home and my 2012 nexus 7 had the OTA waiting and the 'waiting to download' took a very long time - the N7 is doing so much better since the update.

Haven't had a chance to really test 5.1 out on the nexus 5. I noticed the memory link usually driving home from work where it's been run down in battery and I'm trying to run navigation and play pandora over bluetooth and making phone calls - it would dump processes like navigation as soon as I turned on Pandora and then dump pandora as soon as I start navigation again. If I got a phone call I could say goodbye to both Pandora and navigation almost as soon as the call came in and sometimes it would dump the phone process in the middle of a call. If 5.1 has fixed this I would be eternally grateful

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
After hearing all the good things about the 5.1 update I was prepared to do a factory reset and flash the factory image just to get it early (I almost always just wait for OTAs and my bootloader isn't even unlocked right now).

Just to clear any confusion, people should be aware that you can choose to "sideload" the OTA file yourself to get it "early". Unlike installing an image, you don't need an unlocked phone/bootloader, and you don't lose any data or apps etc. Sideloading is the same as initiating the same normal OTA update you get if you otherwise wait for the notification. Just Google for a guide. You just need a PC, it doesn't take very long, and is not particularly hard to do. The OTA file link usually appears within a day or so after Google post the factory image so from then you can update your phone yourself. The Nexus 5 Android 5.1 OTA link was published about 24 hours ago.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes it took forever to start! Lol

Posted via the Android Central App
Me too I checked for updates before going to bed and I was surprised that my Nexus 5 is showed the 5.1 update. I notice that everything is faster also my cell signal is much stronger than before. I will have to see how battery life is.

I also checked my Nexus 7 but nothing yet. It is always the last to get updates.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
There appears to be an improvement of the cell signal strength on my N5 also - a least there are more bars displayed than before in certain areas of my house.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. I loaded 5.1 from the images on googles site. All works great except when I boot the phone and am in airplane mode, I get a no Sim card error. As soon as I turn off airplane mode, it goes away. Anyone know how to clear this? Note I did not factory reset when I loaded. I did not want to loose all of my data. Thanks.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Got the 5.1 OTA this morning. Haven't used it a lot yet but so far all is good. Before, WiFi was a little iffy on 5GHz, it seems better. And maybe cell signal is a little stronger.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance