The Nexus 5 Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded the OTA yesterday morning. After about 24 hours everything seems a lot more snappy and no more home screen redraws or killing my recent apps. Battery life does not seem better however. The WiFi and Bluetooth quick settings are very useful. Overall a good update.

Posted via the Android Central App

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
There is an issue with Textra SMS and 5.1. When you open Textra and select a person in the contacts list, the bubble on the left side of the contact no longer changes color indicating it has been selected. The color does change a bit, but hardly noticeable. It used to change to orange, but now just to a different shade of white. Textra did post an update (v.2.27) that addressed some 5.1 issues, but not this one. I've sent Textra support a message via the app. anyone experience this issue?

Last edited:

Sam1224

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Got the OTA today in Orlando

Haven't installed it yet, no time tonight and I need to brush up on what I need to do after to get root access again.

mrkalel

Oct 2, 2010
www.twitter.com
I wiped and installed a clean 5.1 on my Nexus 5...damn what a lovely OS experience. So slick and smooth... decent battery life and everything runs like "butter".

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
But then just 5 min ago guess what notification I got! Installing now :)

I got mine this morning. One thing- my battery life seemed to get REALLY better.... but it isn't a good test because I put it on the charger while it was updating. I will know for sure on Monday when I am back to a normal routine (and it has run without reboot for 3+ days). Will report back.

EDIT: anyone else who got the OTA getting the "Waiting to download" screen for a long time?

That is exactly what happened to me (like 10+ minutes), but I think the network I was on was blocking ftp? A long time later it failed and I moved to another network, and then it downloaded it without me even asking that time.

jmacdo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I side-loaded the OTA update, from 5.0.1 to 5.1. I had a real ***** of a time doing it. It seems that all the guides are written for people who already have some level of experience with android development.

I read through four guides, none of them are comprehensive enough to allow a brand-new user to do the update. A few of them leave out massive amounts of necessary information. I spent a few hours tinkering, installing usb and ADB drivers, java, Android studio, SDK......... finally got it to work.

Anyways, the issues I had with 5.0.1 were intermittent wifi disconnects, and with system memory gradually increasing over the course of a day. Had to reboot every few days. So far, those issues seem to have been resolved. So far, I'm happy.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Still nothing. If this was based on location, then I would probably be among the first since I live in CA. Matias, my lord, answer my prayers.

I might end up side loading it but I'm afraid of screwing up

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I got mine last night... Took awhile to do as, like others have experienced, it was slow to start the process. So far, so good thus far.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Still nothing. If this was based on location, then I would probably be among the first since I live in CA. Matias, my lord, answer my prayers.

Has nothing to do with location, and not sure why if it did you think that CA would be first...

It can take several days, often longer, for everyone to get it. My Nexus 10 at work got it the first day, but my Nexus 10 at home still has no sign, and the Nexus 5 was today. Random.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Has nothing to do with location, and not sure why if it did you think that CA would be first...

It can take several days, often longer, for everyone to get it. My Nexus 10 at work got it the first day, but my Nexus 10 at home still has no sign, and the Nexus 5 was today. Random.

Cause Google's HQ is in CA (Mountain View).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
"Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.

IOW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that's it until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!

That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice -- but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.

So, mash away. :) Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn't going to gain you anything.

Edit: also, keep in mind that this isn't first-come/first-served. You're not racing other devices to get your slot in the current batch, or something."

Google Engineer Dan Morrill Sheds Some Light On The Nexus OTA Process, Urges You To Never Clear Google Service Framework Data

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Is side loading safe? Do you keep all your data and info?? Does it mess up future updates OTA? What are the con's?!

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Is side loading safe? Do you keep all your data and info?? Does it mess up future updates OTA? What are the con's?!

Loading the *OTA* update is safe for your data, yes and it is the same doing it from adb/computer as doing it really over the air. It doesn't mess with future updates. The only two cons is that it requires a little work/time, and there is a little more possibility of something going wrong (although it is a pretty small risk).

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I can't get the OTA to sideload. Doesn't like something in my youtube.apk for some reason. I'll see if I can't get it to work by redownloading the update, but I might just end up doing a full wipe and flash.

dgdonovan

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I would hold off on 5.1. My Nexus 5 received the update early last week. As of Friday, a number of apps started crashing on launch, including Facebook. Uninstall/reinstall of an app doesn't resolve the problem. Could be an issue with Play Services, since the phone periodically asks to upgrade it, but there is no upgrade available.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
no OTA yet here. Google needs to put a "secret" button hidden in Developer Options that basically says "Force OTA OS Update Now".

SanfordMD

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
From my last five days of usage:
  • Battery Life is still bad - dies rapidly
  • Could not handle all of my contacts
  • Lost all of the images on my contacts
  • Does not gather notifications for common apps in one notification (Facebook is driving me crazy)

But aside for that - no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki