The Nexus 5 Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine - hit "check for updates" manually and it showed up. Now it's stuck on the "Waiting to download..." screen, same experience as some others seem to have had. Last week my wife's phone got the update, but she didn't look for it manually - it was waiting for her when she got home from work. I updated it for her, and it didn't get stuck at all on the "Waiting to download..." screen. So my best guess is that there are things that happen behind the scenes between getting a notification for the update and actually being able to download the update, so if you choose to apply the update the second you get the notification, you'll be waiting a bit. Just a guess.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
O M G. It is not a fluke. I have the best battery life now. I USED to have great battery life until I think three updates ago and it went down the toilet and stayed that way. It would burn up 20 to 25% of my battery being completely idle and unused for 9 hours at work,[...]
After THIS update (5.1) on Friday, I immediately noticed a difference, but it wasn't a controlled test over a weekend. But I had that test today: I got home from work and the battery was at 96%!!!!

I simply can't believe this. Two more days of getting home from work and having 96% and 97% of my battery left (with phone mostly idle all day, and connected to my Moto 360 and WiFi). Makes me wonder if it really is that much better or it is just lying to me...

To those wondering about the "waiting to download" message that seems to be normal now. My Nexus 10 just got the notification and went through the same thing. Waited about 4 minutes and then it started downloading (and not very fast either). I think it is putting people in queue when too many initiate the download at the same time. Was exactly the same with my Nexus 5.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I simply can't believe this. Two more days of getting home from work and having 96% and 97% of my battery left (with phone mostly idle all day, and connected to my Moto 360 and WiFi). Makes me wonder if it really is that much better or it is just lying to me...

To those wondering about the "waiting to download" message that seems to be normal now. My Nexus 10 just got the notification and went through the same thing. Waited about 4 minutes and then it started downloading (and not very fast either). I think it is putting people in queue when too many initiate the download at the same time. Was exactly the same with my Nexus 5.

I'm going to test out the battery tomorrow, it feels a bit better but I'll run it the whole day tomorrow. It could actually be all the fixes... The lag and memory leaks and whatever it was could of been draining the battery more

Posted via Android Central App

mrkalel

Oct 2, 2010
www.twitter.com
So random question guys... I accidentally changed my wallpaper after about 2 years..but when trying to change it back I am not getting the option to crop it the way I remember.

I remember a crop option where it would show a Landscape and portrait outline and you could enlarge or shrink it to fit how you like it...

All I see is the option to change.

Any help?

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
my wife's phone go the OTA a day before mine did. we are both on TMO.

i was one of those that had pretty good battery life with kitkat then it went down the drain with 5.0 and 5.0.1. with 5.0, after unplugging from charger at 7am, by 10am my phone would be down to 93% with 15 minutes on-screen time. i would drop nearly 10% battery every hour with normal texting/kakatalk activity, some phone calls, some web browsing, some youtube. wifi on, everything else off, no facebook/twitter/instagram.

with 5.1, i unplugged my phone at 7am as usual. by 11am this morning, my phone is at 92% with 30 minutes on-screen time. my usage habits are unchanged. estimated battery left is 2 days!

i'll keep an eye on the battery but for now, i'd say battery life definitely improved!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
i was one of those that had pretty good battery life with kitkat then it went down the drain with 5.0 and 5.0.1. with 5.0, after unplugging from charger at 7am, by 10am my phone would be down to 93% with 15 minutes on-screen time. i would drop nearly 10% battery every hour with normal texting/kakatalk activity, some phone calls, some web browsing, some youtube. wifi on, everything else off, no facebook/twitter/instagram.

with 5.1, i unplugged my phone at 7am as usual. by 11am this morning, my phone is at 92% with 30 minutes on-screen time. my usage habits are unchanged. estimated battery left is 2 days!

i'll keep an eye on the battery but for now, i'd say battery life definitely improved!

Sounds like you are having a similar experience I am. My standby battery life was just HORRIBLE before this update and it returned to being sane again, like it was this time last year before the 5.X updates. I don't notice any difference in the battery life when the phone is USED, but when it is left idle, I don't see any excess battery loss now.