How do I send sms through hangouts to multiple recipients?

A

AC Question

send sms through hangouts to multiple recipients

I have been unable to figure this out... I want to send a single sms message to two recipients (my kids) via the hangouts app. one of my kids is an apple fan and they don't use hangouts or google plus.

I have tried selecting and unselecting the MMS to group messaging box in the settings and it seems to have no effect. I can't figure out how to select two contacts for sms.

Can anyone help out?

Nexus 5 running 5.1 on hangouts version 3.0.87531466 and am using google voice on AT&T.

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: send sms through hangouts to multiple recipients

Going to ping this again in hopes of an answer. I really don't want to move away from hangouts (hoping to use Google voice number as sender of text messages) but will if I have to...

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: send sms through hangouts to multiple recipients

I have been unable to figure this out... I want to send a single sms message to two recipients (my kids) via the hangouts app. one of my kids is an apple fan and they don't use hangouts or google plus.

I have tried selecting and unselecting the MMS to group messaging box in the settings and it seems to have no effect. I can't figure out how to select two contacts for sms.

Can anyone help out?

Nexus 5 running 5.1 on hangouts version 3.0.87531466 and am using google voice on AT&T.

Open Hangouts. At the top in the green you'll see a little dark grey head/shoulder(contacts) figure and a grey box(messages). Tap the contacts,pick one (use their cell number). A little bubble will pop up next to the contact you picked that says "Anyone else", pick your next contact and press "OK" at bottom right. At least that's how it works on my Hangouts. :D

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Wiley_11, Thanks for the suggestion.

When I select a contact's Google+ account it asks "anyone else?" and then it goes to the message composition page.

When I select a contact's sms number it goes directly to the message composition page, skipping the "anyone else?" part.

It is driving me insane...

I am wondering if it is part of my Google Voice integration.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

seanoj

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured it out. If you use your google voice number to send sms, you can not do multiple recipients. If you use your carrier's number you can (and it works the same way as the hangouts "anyone else?" bubble.

Now to figure out if it is worth spamming my recipients with a new (and sometimes changing) phone number. Switching from GV to carrier entails going into menu/settings/sms/send SMS from/ and choosing the correct number... Choosing "smart reply" seems to act the same as choosing "Google Voice Number"

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Wiley_11, Thanks for the suggestion.

When I select a contact's Google+ account it asks "anyone else?" and then it goes to the message composition page.

When I select a contact's sms number it goes directly to the message composition page, skipping the "anyone else?" part.

It is driving me insane...

I am wondering if it is part of my Google Voice integration.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Did you tap on "Anyone else" button? When I tap that it takes me back to the contact list so I can pick another contact to add to the message.. I have just plain ole Hangouts on my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet