Who has the latest Nexus 5?

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I bought a new red 16BB Nexus 5 last week and it has a manufacturing date of Jan 2015. It came with Lollipop 5.01. Is this one of the last ones produced? Anyone got one later?

On the box you will see a number like 501KPSLxxxxxx where the first digit is the year (in my case 5 for 2015) and the next two show the month (01 = Jan).

I sourced mine on eBay and it came from Hong Kong and was clearly a Russian model with Russian on the box and in the instruction leaflet. It is a D821 so great for me in the UK.

I'm on my third Nexus 5, I sold the two before and bought the OPO, LG G3 and Lumia 930 but missed the N5 so much I bought a new one when I heard they have been officially discontinued. I flashed it with 5.1.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I bought a new red 16BB Nexus 5 last week and it has a manufacturing date of Jan 2015. It came with Lollipop 5.01. Is this one of the last ones produced? Anyone got one later?

On the box you will see a number like 501KPSLxxxxxx where the first digit is the year (in my case 5 for 2015) and the next two show the month (01 = Jan).

I sourced mine on eBay and it came from Hong Kong and was clearly a Russian model with Russian on the box and in the instruction leaflet. It is a D821 so great for me in the UK.

I'm on my third Nexus 5, I sold the two before and bought the OPO, LG G3 and Lumia 930 but missed the N5 so much I bought a new one when I heard they have been officially discontinued. I flashed it with 5.1.

what did you miss about the Nexus 5?

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has an almost perfect form factor. It is smaller than the iPhone 6 but has a bigger screen. I love the form factor and it's the only phone I have owned where people regularly comment on the screen quality. Nobody did that with the LG G3, even with its quad HD display. I like the way it feels in my hand, and I love the fluidity of the OS (especially compared to the OPO and the LG G3). 5.1 is icing on the cake. I like using Stock Android rather than the rubbish other manufacturers pile on top. I like the vibrant red too.

I did consider the Samsung Galaxy S6 but felt it was too premium for me. I don't have to worry about my Nexus in the way I would with the S6.

Strangely, I have taken the best photos on the Nexus 5 - the HDR+ mode is amazing. To my eyes I get better photos than I did with a Lumia 1020, Lumia 930 and my LG G3. The OPO was a disater with no image stabilisation whatsoever. I could never get any decent pics in anything but good light unless I used flash. OK, I might not be able to zoom the Nexus 5 pics as much as I could with the 1020, but for normal on-screen usage the they look more colourful, clearer and just nicer. The OIS works really well too. It's an all-round very special device and I hope we see a new Nexus 5 in the future which builds on the current model.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has an almost perfect form factor. It is smaller than the iPhone 6 but has a bigger screen. I love the form factor and it's the only phone I have owned where people regularly comment on the screen quality. Nobody did that with the LG G3, even with its quad HD display. I like the way it feels in my hand, and I love the fluidity of the OS (especially compared to the OPO and the LG G3). 5.1 is icing on the cake. I like using Stock Android rather than the rubbish other manufacturers pile on top. I like the vibrant red too.

I did consider the Samsung Galaxy S6 but felt it was too premium for me. I don't have to worry about my Nexus in the way I would with the S6.

Strangely, I have taken the best photos on the Nexus 5 - the HDR+ mode is amazing. To my eyes I get better photos than I did with a Lumia 1020, Lumia 930 and my LG G3. The OPO was a disater with no image stabilisation whatsoever. I could never get any decent pics in anything but good light unless I used flash. OK, I might not be able to zoom the Nexus 5 pics as much as I could with the 1020, but for normal on-screen usage the they look more colourful, clearer and just nicer. The OIS works really well too. It's an all-round very special device and I hope we see a new Nexus 5 in the future which builds on the current model.

did you consider the Nexus 6? if not - why not?

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Too big. Plain and simple. I handled it in a shop and it wouldn't have worked for me at all. I tend to wear skinny jeans and the sheer bulk in my pocket would be too uncomfortable. I have also watched a few YouTube videos comparing the Nexus 5, the Moto X 2014 and the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 5 was faster than the others.

jmacdo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
... On the box you will see a number like 501KPSLxxxxxx where the first digit is the year (in my case 5 for 2015) and the next two show the month (01 = Jan)..

I got mine new just last month. The s/n string starts with 411KPED, so you win, yours is newer. Any idea what the KPSL, or KPED indicates?

I agree with everything you said above, this is a great phone. I looked at the LG G3, but it wasn't worth the extra money, in my opinion.

Aj Irawan

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I so totally agreed with whatever that you said. I've used Samsung S4, LG G3and yet still back on my 2nd Nexus 5. It's the only phone that does everything for me!

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20