Hi all. New to the forums.

So I own a Nexus 5, and after I found out taking off the back voids the warranty (my carrier knows I did it, that's how I know I voided it, long story) I took the device into the shop after it wouldn't boot and got the power button replaced. For about a week that seemed to fix the booting problem, but now the phone will shut off when the battery power is at about 50%, and it doesn't give a "shutting down" message or anything. It shuts off as if the battery has been taken out suddenly. When I keep it plugged in it works perfectly, although sometimes when I power it back on I have to enter my wifi passwords again, and it will sometimes say "optimizing apps" and go through all the apps in a little counter. It usually shuts down when I use the camera, watch youtube, or am just surfing.

Since my warranty is toast, I'm thinking I will need to take it back into the shop, buy a new battery, or something else. I tried a factory reset and clearing the phone's cache, but the power off issue persists. Thoughts?
    03-22-2015 12:07 AM
    Next time it does that, look at the battery stats. Tap the graph to get to the next page. Look for a sharp drop to 0 or near 0. (It's called "falling off the cliff".) If you see that, your battery has a dendrite. (Lithium Battery Dendrite links for more than you ever wanted to know about dendrites.) What it means is that the battery has to be replaced.
    03-22-2015 12:12 AM
    I will. Thanks for the help.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that sometimes when I power it back on with the charger it will say the battery is at like 80%.
    03-22-2015 04:17 AM
    A dendrite can be so thin that it drops the voltage to 0 for half a second, then blows. It didn't drain very much from the battery, but that 0 voltage was enough to cause the phone to restart or, if it held long enough, to shut off. Once it blows, the battery is back to almost the same charge as before. That's what confuses so many people - the battery is almost fully charged, yet the phone shut off, so it can't be the battery. (But the battery was at 0 for a second, and that's enough.)
    03-22-2015 03:57 PM
    You need to replace the battery. I had the same issue three months back, I replace the battery myself. I got it through Amazon.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-23-2015 09:22 AM
    Check ifixit.com for instructions and tools for replacing your battery in your Nexus 5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-23-2016 05:24 PM