Battery life is TERRIBLE 5.1

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6, but the size is not working for my job. I can't fit in the pocket of my scrubs (1st world problems). I got my wife's Nexus 5, as she had just gotten a S6.

I reset phone, rooted it, set it up. This phone is getting 2 hours of screen on time, and dead in 6. I wonder if the battery is just bad, or are these phones this bad on 5.1.

Anyone else having this issue?

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I work in a hospital lab.....cargo scrub pants.....no problem!

I work 10 hour shifts. Phone rides along in my side pants pocket. Still have at least 50 % battery left when I get home with average use - surfing, forum reading, texting, playing music during ride to and from work. No gaming.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I wish we had side cargo pockets! I would just keep my 6. Our surgical scrubs have the one back, and one top pocket.... Yuck.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I reset phone, rooted it, set it up. This phone is getting 2 hours of screen on time, and dead in 6. I wonder if the battery is just bad, or are these phones this bad on 5.1.
5.1 is actually supposed to improve battery life, but ...

If the mobile signal is weak, the phone will use a lot of battery power. (if it's weak from the tower to the phone it's going to be weak from the phone to the tower, so the phone turns up the transmitter power - and that uses a lot of battery.)

Also, if the battery's been drained down to 5% or 10% regularly, after 17 months it may be way past time to replace it. (A lithium battery never dropped below 40% can last for years, but one dropped to almost dead all the time can be gone in 6 months.)

See The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My phone radio (as reported by GSAM battery monitor) will go nuts on occasion and really drain the battery. A reboot sorts it. Otherwise 5.1 seems ok.

Agree on weak signal being an issue as well.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping it is the battery. It drained in 6 hours, with 28 minutes of screen on time. I have sent for a new battery, and deactivated the phone.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Please let us know if the new battery helps, also let us know if Qi still works after you change the batttery, one of the reviews on Amazon said it didn't.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 5 bought when they first came out. About a year in my screen cracked and I sent it to LG for replacement. They had it a LONG time and I think the battery was also replaced. Date on battery is 2014.02.10.

For the past two or three weeks (as updates have been rolling out) I noticed bad battery life. I could have a full charged battery at nightime and by morning (no use) it would be almost gone. Decided to order the Amazon battery from Shine (China). The new battery is dated 2015.03. Looked promising.

Switched out old battery for new battery and charged it fully. INCREDIBLE. It's only been 24 hours but it looks very promising. I'm glad I went ahead and swapped out the battery. New life to a great phone. I rarely keep a phone two years but this one is going to last me.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 bought when they first came out. About a year in my screen cracked and I sent it to LG for replacement. They had it a LONG time and I think the battery was also replaced. Date on battery is 2014.02.10.

For the past two or three weeks (as updates have been rolling out) I noticed bad battery life. I could have a full charged battery at nightime and by morning (no use) it would be almost gone. Decided to order the Amazon battery from Shine (China). The new battery is dated 2015.03. Looked promising.

Switched out old battery for new battery and charged it fully. INCREDIBLE. It's only been 24 hours but it looks very promising. I'm glad I went ahead and swapped out the battery. New life to a great phone. I rarely keep a phone two years but this one is going to last me.

I just ordered one from the same seller. What kind of screen on time are you getting with the new battery?

Posted via the Android Central App

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I charged the new battery around noon yesterday. It hasn't been on the charge since. I'm letting it did overnight but it looks to be lasting one 48 hours with minimal use. Will check SOT when I use it a bit more, (over the weekend). My old battery would never have made it this long AT ALL!