Call Recorder That Records Both Sides Of The Conversation?

seanof30306

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been looking for an app that records both sides of the conversation in phone calls. I've googled it, and found several that say they do, but no luck so far.

I've installed Call Recorder by killermobile. The only way it records is with the microphone; the other three options all failed.

I found a thread where a guy says Call Recorder by skyvalex works, but it requires rooting, and a lot of other setup that appears to be far over my head.

Does anyone know of an app that records both sides without rooting?

Also, nearly every thread I found about this degenerated into an argument over legality, and almost everything I saw was wrong. I sent 25 years in the communications industry, and know a bit about this:

The recording of telephone conversations falls under federal and state wiretapping statutes.

1) Federal law simply requires one-party consent; as long as one party on the call knows it is being recorded, it is legal. So, if I'm on a call with someone else, or conferenced in with 100 people, it is legal. I know it is being recorded, and continuing on the call implies consent, so, if I hand the phone to someone else, and I tell them it's being recorded, if they choose to go ahead and participate in the call, it is legal. Only if I hand the phone to someone else and do not tell them it's being recorded does the recording become illegal, since no one on the call knows it is illegal..

2) I live in a one party consent state. Currently, thirty-eight states and The District of Columbia are all one party consent states. California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington are two party, or all party consent states. Some states require explicit consent, other simply require notification. Illinois may not be a two party state for long; it's law was found unconstitutional in 2014. Hawaii is weird and strange and I'll never live there so I've never worked my way through it. The Peoples' Republic of Massachusetts bans "secret recordings" of any kind. Search your state to see what state laws apply.

3) If someone calls you, the laws of the state you're in apply. If you call someone, the laws of the state they're in apply. If you're going to record outgoing calls, it's a good idea to know the laws of the state you're calling in to. If you live in a one party consent state, and you call the mobile phone of someone who lives in a one party consent state, but they happen to be in a two party, or all party consent state, you probably do not have a problem, as long as you can demonstrate that you had a good faith belief that the person you called was in their home state.

seanof30306

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
This works. If it doesn't then it's not that the app doesn't work. It just doesn't work with your device. No root needed. Again, some devices don't work well with these apps.

Thank you for your help.

I understand it's not the app. I tried it, and just like the 8 other apps I found in my search that others were successful with, this one did not work. After it failed, the app put up a message saying 2-way calling was known not to work on my phone.

My understand is that rooting is required to disable whatever it is about the Nexus 5 that prevents the phone from allowing 2-way recording. I was hoping to find someone who had solved the problem on this phone.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
My understand is that rooting is required to disable whatever it is about the Nexus 5 that prevents the phone from allowing 2-way recording. I was hoping to find someone who had solved the problem on this phone.

I know that rooting is not for everyone. However have you considered it?

seanof30306

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
This is my first smartphone, so I'm leery of doing something that involved. If there's a problem, I don't have the knowledge, or skills to figure it out.

CARMINECORAZZO

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
This is my first smartphone, so I'm leery of doing something that involved. If there's a problem, I don't have the knowledge, or skills to figure it out.

It's a Nexus device, you can't brick it, and if you do somehow **** something up, it's easy to fix. Head over to the xda forums for your device and you'll be just fine. We were all noobs at some point. Godspeed. PM me if you would like more help on rooting or call recording.

Funkyfro

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I previously had the Galaxy S4 and a plethora of call recorder apps were available. I just bought the Nexus 5X and am disappointed to find that it does not work with the apps. I tried every possible app on the play store, even Boldbeast that people said was the best would not record 2-way calls without the phone being on speaker phone. I am in the process of applying for internships and this is an absolutely essential feature.

I've read that rooting the phone will grant access to this 2-way recording. I'm not too tech savvy, but am willing to do this for this feature. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could provide simple steps to go about rooting and enabling this 2-way recording feature to be compatible with phones.

Thanks heaps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781