I'm not the normal user. I'm new to cell phones in part because I'm deaf and in part because I'm 74-years old and chronically unemployed. I got the Nexus 5 to use to text friends of mine. But, as I learned about Android and Apps it has changed how I operate.

Before Nexus 5, my calendar was on my desktop computer. I kept it current and enjoyed repeating events but if I had a busy day out of the apartment scheduled I had to print the calendar for the day and carry it with me. Any appointment or event I scheduled when away from home had to go onto a 3X5 index card to go on the calendar when I got home. Then I started using the Google Calendar on my Nexus 5. It does recurring appoints quite well. It took a while to get used to the calendar and for a short time I ran both the Google Calendar and Outlook Calendar on my desktop. Now, it's just my Google Calendar. Since it goes with me I no longer need to carry a printout of the days activities or make notes of appointments on an index card.

And, I used to make my grocery list on the computer and print it before I went to the store. Now, I use Google Keep. As I buy items I uncheck them and they go to a list of bought items. Things that are a one-time purchase get deleted but things I'll be buying again but not every week stay on the bought list. Before I go to the grocery I review the list and any I need again get a check which moves them up to the current list. Quite handy, really.

My Spanish/English dictionary on my desktop get neglected now because I used the Android app on my Nexus 5.

I bought a bluetooth keyboard and when I'm away from home for more than a day, my email gets taken care of on the Nexus 5.

I have had a laptop for travelling but with the bluetooth keyboard to do email all I'd be doing with my laptop is storing photo files and surfing the net. I can buy a few more SD cards, they're fairly cheap now, and that will take care of my photo storage. I can read the news on the net with my Nexus 5 and maybe a few days without surfing would be good for me.

I'm enjoying my Nexus 5. Since I live in Mexico, actually seeing newer phones is a problem but last week I found a store for the service provider that's the only outlet for the Nexus 6. They had one. Just one. When the young man laid it reverently in my hand I was immediately turned off. It didn't feel secure in my hand. I couldn't turn it on but he said it was exactly the same as another model of Motorola except with a bigger screen. I thanked him and left even happier with my Nexus 5.

Edit: I'll also plug the app, Jango. I'm not a music buff but I can hear music with earphones. I use Jango for tunes when I walk my dog in the morning and evenings. I rather like it.
    Javier P, brosko, GlennTX and 1 others like this.
    05-08-2015 08:06 AM
    Come to think about it, I was in the same position when I got my first smartphone. Calendar reminders became much more helpful. Google Keep, in it's simplicity, is very useful.

The Nexus 6 was aimed at people who like the idea of hybrids like the Note series. While I don't care for a phone that big, other people do, and Google offered a device for them.
    05-08-2015 08:39 AM