Not rooted stock Nexus 5 with 5.1.

I installed a Screen Off app to save wear and tear on my power button. However, I discovered this app prevents Smart Lock from working. I set Pattern Lock with a Bluetooth device Smart Lock. When I use the Screen Off app the Lock Screen appears when I hit the power button. When I use the power button to turn off then Smart Lock works and it recognizes my Bluetooth device and skips the Pattern Lock screen.

Any way I can get a Screen Off app that allows Smart Lock to work as it should?

Thanks,
    Jeff Kang likes this.
    05-19-2015 11:18 AM
    Can you give a brief summary of how the Screen Off app is supposed to work, and how you want things to work with Smart Lock? Sorry, but I'm having a little problem wrapping my mind around it.
    Advaitom likes this.
    05-19-2015 11:37 AM
    I've been looking for an app to do that for a while and I had no luck. It seems there's a problem to write an app that copies the power button action. This is what the Screen Off and Lock devs published in their Facebook page.

"The behavior of Android platform does not allow screen "Off" and "Lock" behaviors to be split into two separated action programmatically unless using the physical power button. Although there is a workaround which can overcome the issue, I don't think it is a smart way and stable enough for intensive use".

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...93680877315034
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-19-2015 11:50 AM
    Here's the problem details:

* I turn on Lock Screen (I use Pattern Lock).
    * I turn on Smart Lock so that my Bluetooth device connection should prevent the Lock Screen from appearing.
    * On my Home Screen I tap the Screen Off icon to turn off my phone.
    * I make sure my Bluetooth device is still on.
    * I hit the Power Button to turn the phone back on.
    * The Lock Screen appears. Grrr! Problem!

Here's a workaround that is not acceptable:

* I turn on Lock Screen (I use Pattern Lock).
    * I turn on Smart Lock so that my Bluetooth device connection should prevent the Lock Screen from appearing.
    * I use the Power Button to turn off my phone.
    * I make sure my Bluetooth device is still on.
    * I hit the Power Button to turn the phone back on.
    * The Lock Screen does not appear.
    (This is not a solution cause I now I have to use the Power Button twice as much which I don't want to do. I want to use the Screen Off app to cut in half the wear and tear on the Power Button. The Screen Off app needs to be a Device Administrator to work.)

Did I clarify the problem? Any way to fix this problem? I would rather not have to root my device. Thanks,
    05-19-2015 09:46 PM
    Ok, now I understand. Do you have the "Power button locks immediately" setting turned on? If so, what happens if you turn that off?
    Advaitom likes this.
    05-19-2015 10:49 PM
    Instead of using an app you could set the screen timeout to be 15 or 30 seconds. It's not the best solution but, as I said, I think there's no app to do what you want.
    Advaitom and Jeff Kang like this.
    05-20-2015 05:24 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I turned off "power button locks immediately" and that didn't fix the problem. Same behavior. I could probably fix it by rooting and romming but I don't have the time to research all that. Oh well. I'll keep the lock screen disabled so I can keep using the Screen Off app. From what I've heard the Nexus 5 power button does wear out after a while.
    Jeff Kang likes this.
    05-20-2015 08:40 AM
    That's true but there's many times when I want the screen to stay on. Hopefully some Google Android programmer will read this post and code a solution into the next version. After a screen timeout, is there some way to turn the screen back on without using the power button? Thanks,
    Jeff Kang likes this.
    05-20-2015 08:44 AM
    That's true but there's many times when I want the screen to stay on. Hopefully some Google Android programmer will read this post and code a solution into the next version. After a screen timeout, is there some way to turn the screen back on without using the power button? Thanks,
    That's difficult if the feature isn't built in the phone (for example the double tap to wake in some LG devices). I've been reading in this forum about an app called AirOn. I haven't tried it so no idea if it's any good. Take a look here

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=xR_th6v5
    Advaitom and B. Diddy like this.
    05-20-2015 09:03 AM
    OK, I installed AirOn and here's what happened

* My Lock Screen was disabled (initial state).
    * I installed AirOn.
    * I tapped the Screen Off icon and the phone turned off.
    * I covered and uncovered and covered the proximity sensor with my finger
    * The phone turned on. (Cool!)
    * I then enabled Pattern Lock.
    * The phone did not turn on.
    * I then disabled the Lock Screen.
    * The phone did not turn on.
    * I uninstalled and reinstalled AirOn.
    * I reset the AirOn "Min Value" and now it works again.

* Looks like it needs a little fiddling to get it working and enabling Lock Screen messes it up somehow. I'll play around with it some more but now it looks like its working. Cool app. Thanks for suggesting it!
    Javier P and B. Diddy like this.
    05-20-2015 11:00 AM
    It sounds good then. Report back how's going and the app impact on the battery. It could be helpful for other people, included me
    05-20-2015 11:20 AM
    OK, will do. Cheers.
    05-20-2015 09:53 PM
    So far doesn't seem to significantly reduce battery life. I love this app. Working great so far.
    Javier P likes this.
    05-25-2015 08:39 AM
    So far doesn't seem to significantly reduce battery life. I love this app. Working great so far.
    Does the app interfere with phone calls in any way? I mean if you move the phone during a call from your ear to look at the screen and the put it back to talk, that would be covering it uncovering it and covering it again.
    05-26-2015 09:47 AM
    Does the app interfere with phone calls in any way? I mean if you move the phone during a call from your ear to look at the screen and the put it back to talk, that would be covering it uncovering it and covering it again.
    So far it has not interfered with any phone calls. And I often will go from ear to speakerphone back to ear. No problems yet. The cover/uncover motion has to happen fairly quickly and that seems to prevent false positives. I changed my settings to cover/uncover 2X and that setting works good. I haven't touched my power button in 3 days. Cool. And it doesn't require root. Cool. I paid 99 cents for the Pro version to show my appreciation.
    DLK1 likes this.
    05-26-2015 09:03 PM
    Try Greenify. I was having a similar issue on my G4. This app fixed it. Also helps with battery savings.
    09-22-2015 09:29 AM
    I had found a solution!!!

You just can use gravityBox actions to set a screen off shortcut or gesture (i.e with nova launcher gestures).

It works perfectly with smart lock. Now I had set an action to turn off the screen swiping up my nova launcher home.

I just registered here to tell it to you guys. I hope it be helpful

Cya!
    Jeff Kang likes this.
    12-20-2015 08:36 PM