Nexus 5 failing to receive calls, frequent 'emergency calls only' and text messages arriving late

pris0wner

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Since about a month I had a lot of problems with my nexus 5. More specifically, it fails at everything a phone should do.
Most of the time when people call me, the phone does not show that someone is calling and it also doesn't show a voice mail message.
About once per hour, the phone loses connection and shows 'emergency calls only'. Switching airplane mode on and off fixes the problem but ofcourse this is annoying and shouldn't be required. The bad connection is also accompanied by cellular data. I have never '4g' but always 'H', regardless where I am.
Also, mostly in the evening, text messages start coming in about 2 hours later than they were sent.

I checked my sim card in another phone and everything was fine so it is definitely a problem in the phone.
Tried a factory reset, also didn't help.

Anyone who has any idea what to do? I'm completely lost at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you tried the SIM in another phone, how long did you test it out for? Since the problems on the Nexus 5 seem intermittent, make sure you test the SIM on the other phone for at least a few hours, or preferably for an entire day, before ruling out the SIM as the problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe there's some debris in the SIM slot. Remove the SIM tray and blow the slot out with a can of compressed air. Now try again.