Why does my Nexus 5 shut down when taking photos?

A

AC Question

Nexus 5 shuts down when taking photo

I have a serious problem with my Nexus 5 and i hope someone can help me. E\More often than not, my Nexus 5 will just shutdown when i am taking photos. Esp when the photo is taken in an environment when more processing is needed like low light area. The phone will just switch off. Pressing the power button would not work at all. The only thing that can revive it is a power surge i.e. plugged in a power source. The phone will revive and the picture is not taken at all. Can someone pls advise me. Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 shuts down when taking photo

What version of Android are you running? Are you running stock or a custom ROM?

What camera app are you using?

Micster1

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 shuts down when taking photo

I have the same problem only my Nexus 5 would shut off after every photo. Try deactivating the app and then reactivating it. that worked for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

hattonthegreat

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I've had exactly the same problem, for months now. I replaced the battery and I thought it was fixed but a few weeks later the camera shutdowns started happening again. I've done a factory reset, I tried disabling the camera and then enabling it again as suggested in this thread but that didn't work. It's such a shame because apart from the camera shutdowns it's still a great phone. It wouldn't be so bad if it booted up after a shutdown but because it requires charge to reboot I end up being without a phone until I'm able to plug it in. I have found the the 'Manual Camera' app doesn't shut it down so I've been using that instead - it doesn't do video though :(

BaliDave

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
I've had exactly the same problem for over a year and been unable to find a fix. I've tried booting in safe mode and problem still exists, so it's not a 3rd party app. Seems to happen mostly when I'm shooting with flash or HDR+. Usually in normal photo non-HDR+ or video mode, it does not shut down. And I've had the problem for the last couple Android versions (on Marshmallow now). I've replaced the battery two times with what is supposedly "OEM original" according to what's on Amazon, and still the problem exists.

I have found however that ANY sort of charging connection (wired or induction) even for only a few seconds will enable the phone to be rebooted. And the battery is fine then, not depleted at all. So I often carry a power bank battery (when I remember) so I can reboot it when such happens (or put it on my Koolpad when at home). So I suspect it's a battery draining issue (e.g. trying to draw more current than it can supply) but don't know how to resolve it, and would love to find a real solution, or a battery that won't do that. Anyone know??

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan